Xmas Dinner Coffee ? whats everyone having ?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Xmas Dinner Coffee ? whats everyone having ?

Postby BazBean » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:15 pm

8)
After the Christmas feasts is devoured and the pudding is warming what will be your special after dinner coffee this year ?.
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

RE: Xmas Dinner Coffee ? whats everyone having ?

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:27 pm

Excellent thread mate and a very good question too. No idea yet, but our order will be going in to you know where on Tuesday and as yet the big after dinner number is still to be decided. I suspect a bag of Smith's Farms will be on the menu somewhere over Christmas.

What about you? Do you have any wonderous coffees up your sleeve for the big day?

Slightly OT (how unusual for me :oops: ), whilst we are at it what is everyone eating for main course this year? Like most it seems, we have always eaten turkey, but this year we shall be having an M&S Oakham chicken instead because they have been really really tasty of late :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

RE: Xmas Dinner Coffee ? whats everyone having ?

Postby BazBean » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:42 pm

Actually if truth be told I am looking for inspiration with this thread....
That’s the trouble sometimes with having access to so much you need a little inspiration and where else would a sensible guy find such recommendations but here.

Main course will be traditional as I love it.
The fun part is in the trimmings and there variety
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby Olings » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:34 pm

My approach is that the dinner is going to be heavy and so is probably the drinks and the dessert, so I'll go for a fruity Kenyan. We have one from the Korokoro Cooperative. Tropical fruits and fresh acidity.

I guess it depends on the dessert as well. Maybe a coffee with slightly more body, but I'd defiantly want some fruitiness in there.

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Postby GeorgeW » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:06 pm

We usually start with something very light with bubbly wine which we have some time before the main course. One year I had a dozen oysters but it will be tasty bites of some sort. For quite a few years now we have had Goose for the main course. Originally we bought a whole fresh Goose but found that this was expensive and even the largest could only feed four. The last few years we have bought Goose breasts and thighs from Lidl or Aldi and these, though frozen have proved ideal. These will be served with potatoes roasted in Goose fat and with a couple of vegetables. With the Goose we serve baked apples crammed with cranberry compote and the tartness of this complements the oily flavour of the Goose.. Pudding will be something light I imagine but later, probably much later, we will have a slice of Clootie Dumpling with our coffee.
Of course this means allowing my Ladywife out of the cupboard for an extended period, but hey...it Christmas and she'll be back in there once the dishes are done.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Neo » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:20 pm

colombia san augustin
Anfim supercaimano
Gaggia Baby
Cloth filter
Syphon
Lovely coffee from a great roaster
Neo

Postby Steve » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:21 pm

I shall be drinking Brazil Cach Canario I think, although its tight between that and a Colombian sample that were going to be stocking next year and I have a ltitle left (see cant be accused of any commercial bias as we dont stock either yet) :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby bruceb » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:34 pm

As usual, I'm right there with my Sicilian Brother, George. We'll start with sparkling wine, perhaps a dry Prosecco served with some tapas such as smoked clams or oysters on oven-roasted baguette, Karin's decorative and delicious canapés and then the main course, Goose thighs and drumsticks braised in red wine and served with rosemary potatoes out of the oven and red cabbage. A few bottles of 1995 Renaissance (Sierra-Nevada Foothills California) Cabernet Sauvignon will go well with the goose. Still haven't decided on dessert yet, but am favouring a "pear strudel" served in a glass.

For coffee, my most recent espresso blend: 50% Columbian Narinio, 20% Mexico Altura Perl, 20% Yirgacheffe Mochha and 10% MM robusta. I will enjoy doubles, most of my guests will want cappuccinos (I don't know how they digest all that milk after eating goose legs??) and one will want a longo, but I'll make them all with my blend. Ouzo, Remy and Aberlour Highland Sherry-cask Scotch will be available ad libidum.

A Happy Christmas to all! Image

Bruce and Karin
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GeorgeW » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:11 pm

That sounds wonderful Bruce and it's amazing how similar our tastes are. Is it because we are old seasoned campaigners do you think, or are you just a bit strange?
At the moment I'm out of MM and feeling it, and I've just realised that Christmas won't be the same if I can't find some. I do prefer Armagnac as a tipple after dinner however. 8)
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby bruceb » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:37 pm

George, I just finished the last bottle of Armagnac a few days ago and probably won't get to a place where I can buy an appropriate replacement before the holidays.

I don't know if it's age, but I am certainly a bit strange. Image
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Bombcup » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:07 pm

Brasso, Methylated Spirit and Toilet Duck (got the in-laws round). :x
Bombcup

Postby espressomattic » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:18 pm

Well for starters it is going to be an Iced Latte, follwed by a glass of chilled Rose. Then the BBQ will be on. A couple of roasts under the BBQ and buffet. Following this, no doubt some more Pinot Noir from Malborough. Then it will be a dip in the pool. At some point there will be home made icecream made with fresh vanilla pods.

Oh it is going to be very stresssful.

Christmas eve is a night in with another bottle of NZ red, with COld meats, fine cheese and italian christmas cake :P

Naturally I will be thinking of you all in the Northern Hemisphere gathered round all wrapped up in scarfs!
espressomattic

Postby ivdp » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:41 pm

Still undecided over Galapagos and Hawaii Kona

Ivo
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby GeorgeW » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:17 pm

NordicNed wrote:Well for starters it is going to be an Iced Latte, follwed by a glass of chilled Rose. Then the BBQ will be on. A couple of roasts under the BBQ and buffet. Following this, no doubt some more Pinot Noir from Malborough. Then it will be a dip in the pool. At some point there will be home made icecream made with fresh vanilla pods.

Oh it is going to be very stresssful.

Christmas eve is a night in with another bottle of NZ red, with COld meats, fine cheese and italian christmas cake :P

Naturally I will be thinking of you all in the Northern Hemisphere gathered round all wrapped up in scarfs!

Bloody hell. It was -6 degrees this morning which was bad enough but now reading your post has made it much worse. I can only hope your Marborough Pinot Noir (which I love incidentally) is luke warm and undrinkable. 8)
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:13 pm

ivdp wrote:Still undecided over Galapagos and Hawaii Kona

Ivo

The Galapagos sounds intriguing Ivo, I've not seen it around here. What characteristics does it have? :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping