Xmas Dinner Coffee ? whats everyone having ?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:36 pm

I've got some, thanks to Walter, but I don't know how to roast it or if it's best as espresso or in the Aerobie. I hope Ivo has something to say about it.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Steve » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:41 pm

I've got some Grappa to play with Christmas lunch, should be fun if not alcoholic :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Slimboyfat » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:26 am

Trad. all the way for us - we haven't bought any meat from supermarkets for nearly a year now, we get it all from a local farm, who will sell retail.

They've been fattening up some free range turkeys for a while - we do the Nigella trick of submerging it for 12 hours in a sweet brine with lots of Christmas spices - makes it so tender and juicy

Prosecco and blinis to start

Roast herby potatoes, parnips and shallots
Sprouts with pancetta and chestnuts
carrots, caremalised in orange and sesame seeds
bread sauce, cranberry sauce, stuffing

Homemade Christmas pud and brandy butter (saving enough to fry in butter for boxing day breakfast!!)

Bought quite a lot of nice wine back from france in the summer, which I've managed not to drink - a record

But I too am stumped for the choice of coffee - I think that I will go for something smooth and chocolaty that will do for espresso and french press - and maybe some yirg, to have a zesty SO alternative

This has made me feel very hungry. Despite the fact that it's only 8.25 am, I could eat Christmas dinner now :shock:

...never knowingly underfed

expobar pulser, quickmill 031, Reg Barber Radical Pro US curve, Koenigbot, aerobie, armour plated welded 1910 hybrid german whirley, several french presses, antique nepolitana, an old stovetop, Zassenhaus that smells of pepper and a hoover attachment colander/cooler thing
Slimboyfat

Postby GMRK » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:16 am

After ordering late last year and ending up with Illy on Xmas day this year I'm well stocked.

Had a couple of bags of Hasbean Xmas espresso blend recently but over the holidays it's a choice between Colombian COE Mirador-Jesus Lizcano, El Salvador Alaska COE, HB Premium Espresso blend or Yirgacheffe.

After reading this article at Home Barista http://www.home-barista.com/store-coffee-in-freezer.html I've been freezing my beans as soon as they are delivered and taking them out the day before using them without any apparent problems so no more problems with fresh beans when the post is busy.
GMRK

Postby ivdp » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:29 pm

Galapagos
I am not much of a poet, so forgive me if I don't mention raspberries and other exotic flavors.
A very well balanced large bean arabica, excellent roast, rich after taste.
Definately belonging to the grand top 10 in coffee universum.
Roasting: into second crack, but not far, you want to keep the subtle nuances.
Ivo
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby bruceb » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:49 pm

Thanks Ivo! I'm going to definitely roast some for Christmas day!
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby propofolpete » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:02 am

I just picked up a couple of bags of Monmouth 'spresso blend. I am now hoping they will last into new year. :roll: One is in the freezer the other is in a tin in the fridge; as I'm the only coffee drinker in the house I expect to be in the clear. The Monmouth is great for straight up but suffers lack of bite in a latte/cappa, any suggestions what might give me a bit more kick in a longer milk based cup?
so it goes...

Gaggia. Aristarco. Grindenstien. Has beans. SQM.
propofolpete

Postby ivdp » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:52 pm

Some Remy Martin maybe?
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:08 pm

Yes, I find Monmouth can be a little that way in milk drinks, though I did enjoy the espresso as you said. HB Espresso or Premium Espresso kicks a bit Pete ..... and Ivo's Remy Martin suggestion sounds to me like a very civilised accompanyment to good coffee at this time of year :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GMRK » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:49 pm

A suggestion:

Fill a smallish thick-walled cup with boiling water to heat it up. Empty this out and dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of unrefined cane sugar in about a teaspoon of hot water.

Add about 15-25ml single or double cream to the water and sugar and mix together. The reason for heating the cup up is to warm the cream slightly so it becomes more liquid than when it's cold.

Add 15-25ml golden rum to the sweetened cream and mix again (Mount Gay wouldn't be the worst choice). The flavour of the rum and unrefined sugar will add to each other.

Pull a double shot onto/into the cream and rum mixture and stir a small amount to mix the coffee and cream together but not too much, a crema of sorts will have formed but will be mixed with the cream and rum.
Last edited by GMRK on Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GMRK

Postby zapty » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:21 pm

A very pungent blend for this years festivities: 10% Monsooned Malabar, 10% Nicaraguan Maragogype, 10% Colombo rainforest, 20% Ethiopean Sidamo , 50% Panama Bambito all roasted conservatively, not too dark........
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby propofolpete » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:23 pm

Must get me some rum and brandy...
Heh heh heh...
:twisted:
so it goes...

Gaggia. Aristarco. Grindenstien. Has beans. SQM.
propofolpete

Postby Bertie_Doe » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:37 am

For a change we are having goose this year - I must remember to save the surplus fat in the fridge, it's very good for basting roast potatoes. Drinks will be mulled wine followed by orange liquor 43.

Coffee will be Brazil Dattera boubon yellow. This is the best batch I've made thus far, 15 secs into 2C, updosed to 16.5 gr and featherwieght tamp. Loads of dark choc, but none of the green apple mentioned in Steve's notes. May have to save the Xmas pud till the 26th.

Quentin
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby Dan » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:42 pm

Will be roasting the last of my Nicaragua coop 22 de septembre COE tomorrow. Beans are getting a little old, but still good. After that probably the Honduras La Fortuna.

I'm in the awkward situation of having 200g of genuine Blue Mountain ready to go too. Problem is it was given to me by a friend who will be with us it is poorly packaged, at least a year old (almost certainly considerably more) and, the company boasts "Dark Roasted for flavour".

He won it in a raffle (donor company couldn't sell it in over a year, I know, I'd seen it on the market stall many times!) but it was handed to me with much ceremony and I think we'll just have to grin and bear it!

Obviously he is oblivious and I shall endeavor to ensure that he remains so, why spoil his day. We'll just have to tuck into the real thing in the evening.

Maybe I'll get extra lucky and also be sent another bumper selection pack of pre-ground flavoured coffees like last year. (MMMMmm, Rum Raisin :? :(!)

Still, it's the thought that counts.

:cry:
------------------------------------------------------------------
Lincolnshire water is killing poor Gaggia......

PID'd Gaggia Coffee, Silvia Wand, Naked PF / Ibertial MC2 Auto / iRoast2 / Popper Roaster / Schott VacPot / No cupboard space anymore!
http://www.thedomesticbarista.com
-----------------------
Dan

Postby lukas » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:56 pm

I only read that first sentence and my head had nearly got bang ... daaaaaaaaaugrhfffff you still have some? I've had one small bag of it, and only the last cup I had from that was really good, but alas, it was one of the best cup of coffees I ever had. That's quite a while ago but it still stands and I thought I'd forgotten about it but it seems I did not ;)
When I discovered how good it was it was already too late ... Enjoy it, hopefully it's still good after a year (or so :))

edit: typo
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

PreviousNext

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping