Yemen Matari Mokka

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Yemen Matari Mokka

Postby lukas » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:14 pm

I'm a bit shocked as I read on another forum about hidden agendas on here and stuff, and my last post about Steve's Brazilian certainly could feed such rumors. Hence, secret agenda no 2 :twisted: : Walter's Yemen Matari Mokka!

I wrote about it on my blog before, and on here was talk about Yemens before too, but I just have to say it again. This coffee is stunning. I probably use it for competing in february too (we'll see). And it's different from anything else! Certainly not for everyones tastes (*cough* fred *cough*), and it has this 'aromatic wood note' that came to me as what 'toasted wood syrup' would describe best. Sounds strange but tasted lovely. Thick dense and liquorice sweet, plenty of body ... you can drink a shot and sink into your own tastebuds ;)

I think the roast was spot on, with oils just showing a bit, and I finished the one bag way too fast. It was all too easy to pull, too. Damn I need more ;)

Come on people, we need more secret agendas, show me yours ;)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

RE: Yemen Matari Mokka

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:33 am

It looks nice Lukas. I love liquorice tones in coffee :P

Hidden agendas ... shhhhhhh, they'll all hear! Actually, your post made me smile as it reminded me of an incident many years ago. I bumped into a bloke on a trolley-bus who spent twenty minutes explaining his conspiracy theory to the captive audience travelling about their daily business. He was fairly entertaining on a surface level (given the option was to watch people paying their fare as they got on), and his reasoning actually sounded quite feasible if you didn't think too much about it; unfortunately he had a couple of dozen old Coke cans tied about his person, appreared only slightly less paranoid than a turkey in December, and was clearly as mad as cheese :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby BazBean » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:32 am

and to this day you have never brought up Matts past untill Now !
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby fred25 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:27 am

I have to say the beans look absolutely wonderful. I would pulverize them with a hammer before force-feeding them to a goat but hey, that's just me! 8)
Au réveil, il était midi.
fred25

Re: RE: Yemen Matari Mokka

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:11 am

BazBean wrote:and to this day you have never brought up Matts past untill Now !

:lol: Well he's moved on to Dr Pepper now and gone up in the world ;) :P

Yeay 6k :oops:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

RE: Re: RE: Yemen Matari Mokka

Postby lukas » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:42 am

Actually the colors in the pic are way off but I thought it looks cool nevertheless. I bet with all the coke cans around him he didn't need aluminium foil around his head? ;)
Lukas

--
lukas

RE: Re: RE: Yemen Matari Mokka

Postby lukas » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:34 pm

I can't keep quiet about this coffee, sorry guys'n'gals!
Did a roast four days ago, and made a hell of a great espresso this morning. It's tough coffee, I wasn't able to stand more than one double, but the taste! Oh the taste :)
With my own roast, now with a modified(r) profile thanks to Walter, I get really aromatic wood notes (*cough*fred*cough*), though I like the roasted/grilled wood I had from Walter's roast better. It's an easy to pull coffee (for me), and it was just delicious. I wanted to say lovely, but the Matari is not exactly what I'd describe as a lovely coffee ;)
Lukas

--
lukas

Postby Cas » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:11 pm

Lukas can you tell me how you roast the Yemen to get the results you describe please? I'm using a Hottop and Fred's unloved stash of beans.
Reneka Techno V2M ~ Mazzer Mini E ~ Swiss Gold
Cas

Postby lukas » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:15 pm

Hey Cas, I don't have experience with a hottop, only an old cast-iron whirley-pop like roaster.
This particular roast was a slow drying phase, IIRC around 6-8 mins until the beans turned really yellowish. Then the heat full up until first crack began, and then I added even more heat with a heatgun from above for a short while. Rolling first crack lower heat, until I heard first pops of second and then full heat again just a bit before a rolling 2nd.

Roast time was around 16 minutes. I'm not sure if I can replicate that profile again ;), we'll see - and I have no idea how to do that with a hottop.
Lukas

--
lukas

Postby Cas » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:21 pm

OK thanks Lukas :)
Reneka Techno V2M ~ Mazzer Mini E ~ Swiss Gold
Cas

Postby espressomattic » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:46 pm

Thought I would bring this up again....

Cakes sent over some of this lot to me and I held off roasting it for at least 2 weeks ;)

This was totally amazing. I really got that 'Aromatic wood' thing. Actually really reminded me of the Arabic Coffee with Cardemon in the Shouqs in Jerusalem way back when. It had a really deep siceyness to it that I found totally captivating. I took it to just into 2C with very few oils showing. Surprisingly it was tasting the same right after the roast as it did today, 5 days later.

So thanks Cakes for this, just gotta work out how to get more...lots more of it :D
espressomattic

Postby lukas » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:02 am

But don't be surprised that one morning you just can't stand it. On the next morning it will be fine again. This coffee is so ... massive :)

What I found was that there's only such a tight band for darkness of roast, start of 2nd crack with oils just starting to show for me. Any lighter, and I totally understand what scares Fred away from this coffee ;), and only little darker and the armotic wood notes turn into hmmm burned tires? Now you wetting my appetite and I must order some more soon!
Lukas

--
lukas

Postby Beanie » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:44 am

Hmmmm if there's liquorice to be 'got' out of any coffee, I think I'm guaranteed to pull it out :roll: And I soooo don't like liquorice :( What a shame :( all the other Yemeni coffees I've tried were super fab and without the liquorice :D

Dunno what's up with Fred and the woody thing tho :P
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby fred25 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:33 am

Bean_Believer wrote:Dunno what's up with Fred and the woody thing tho :P

not too sure how I'm supposed to take that :lol:

As a matter of interest, sweetmarias currently has four different yemeni coffees, all from different origins - a result of Tom's travel to the country, which he talked about in a great travelogue that's somewhere on their site! :D

Seems that their cup profile is quite different too, and leads me to hope that it's possible to have that great Yemeni profile, body and intensity without that (for me) dreaded wooden note - actually it seems to be a characteristic of the Sharasi in their current offering, rather than the Mattari they have this year... Maybe it was particularly pungent in their coffee, and less so in Steve's or Walter's?

Also, re: Lukas I must say I couldn't get rid of that damn wooden note, I rosated the thing to 2C, rolling 2C, Viennese, French, Spanish, rolling 3C Esperanto, it was bloody indestructible! :evil:
Au réveil, il était midi.
fred25

Postby farmroast » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:21 pm

The Yemen Sharasi Tom has is very clean. Makes a REALLY nice SO espresso. Roasted 2 700gr batches a couple days ago. One FC+ the other Vienna. Pulled the first shots today but it still needs 2-3 more days rest. Sweet, clean and nicely complex.
DreamRoast roaster, Olympia: Cremina, Maximatic. Bezzera: Familia, BZ99. Mazzer Majors. Technivorm 741
farmroast

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping