Decaffeinated sachets

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Decaffeinated sachets

Postby Purplelavender » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:48 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to ask or whether this will offend the coffee experts here. But here goes - I have a Iberital L'Anna machine in my cafe and an Iberital grinder BUT some of my customers want decaff coffee and I only have the one grinder. So need to buy ready ground decaff in sachets. Have been getting Segafredo. Any better suggestions. I am based in Dorset.
Purplelavender

RE: Decaffeinated sachets

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:15 pm

Empty your hopper?
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:20 am

You could get a decent second grinder used for around £70 and reduce the risk of losing your decaf customers. It would eventually pay for itself because I am sure the sachets are more expensive than buying decent decaf whole beans. You might even find that you get a reputation for decent decaf and your volume increases.

Feel free to ask anything; it is good that you are taking the time to find things out. The question won't offend people here, but I fear that your decaf customers may not be overjoyed.

I'm not a decaf drinker, but I can understand why those that are become upset when they are served pre-ground sachets whilst regular drinkers get freshly ground beans. Presumably they pay the same price?

There really is only one way to do good coffee - the right way. Cutting corners means cutting standards. Sorry if that sounds harsh but it is the truth.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Tristan » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:18 am

I use a seperate grinder for decaf and like Cakey says, they pay for themselves. Is still find it hard to get a decent shot of decaf though (not suprising), but I guess it's making the best of a bad situation!

I've tried a few sachets and a lot of the time they seem to be far to coarse a grind.
The Wild Drink Blog
www.tristanstephenson.com
Expobar Brewtus II, Vario
Tristan

Postby Purplelavender » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:50 pm

Hi all
Never had any complaints about the decaff coffee! Dont sell an awful lot really and after buying the machine, I dont (at this stage) want to buy another grinder jst for the odd request. Think I will stick with what I have been using so far.
Purplelavender

Postby bruceb » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:54 pm

I believe more people would drink decaf (rather than drinking something other than coffee) if they could get good decaf. I don't drink decaf myself, but I always have some fresh when I know that someone is going to visit who won't drink normal coffee. Most people think I'm cheating and serving them normal caffeinated coffee because it tastes so good. I have a second grinder that I paid very little for on e-bay just for this purpose.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:55 pm

Purplelavender wrote:Never had any complaints about the decaff coffee!

That just isn't the answer. If you check the following threads, you'll see that the majority of people just don't complain, even when (not if!) it is awful.
What do you do when you get a bad coffee
Do you complain when you get served a cup of muddy water?
I'm sure people don't complain in McDonalds either.
I know this seems harsh, but if you're happy to produce coffee the same standard as everybody else on the high street, then you're kinda of missing what TMC is about. If you want to make a difference, serve great coffee and actually make a name for yourself (so that people will travel to see you) then look closely at some of the good advice you've already been given.
Gouezeri

Postby BazBean » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:45 pm

What everyone esle has said really but I have hesiated in posting as I can get a little carrried away on the passion thing ...but speaking as another Coffee Bizz person I can guarantee you would like to be rewarded for all your hard work and hours worked I am sure ?
The fact you have read a lot of posts and then joined and allready become active would suggest that you know better could be served than most dish out in front of people. MY honest experince is if you serve great coffee not perfect coffee you will be miles ahead of just about everyone. forget passion even if its for money an little time for correct training, fresh coffee and then a bit more invested into the business on another grinder, regular maintenace and new burrs combined with a good water softner with give a massive return on that investment..
the best bit is you have done all the hard work by making the dessision to get into it and allready started.

Have fun also :D
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby Purplelavender » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:18 pm

Whoops - what a minefield. Sorry did not explain as I have also been posting in the Member Lounge. Until last week I have been using a 20 yr old espresso machine but now I have a second hand 6 month old L'Anna (2) and Iberital grinder. Just wanted to know if anyone used decaff sachets as at the moment it really is my only option if any customer requests decaff. Thanks for suggestions tho.
Purplelavender

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:26 pm

The minefield only exists if you go off the well-beaten track: Fresh beans, decent grinder, grind to order, decent machine capable of brewing at the right temps and pressure. You have the tools, there are plenty of people here willing to provide you with the necessary knowledge. The rest isn't that hard and there are no mines involved! :D
Gouezeri

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping