Happy Donkey beans

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Happy Donkey beans

Postby jon » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:37 pm

buying some bits and pieces from HD - anyone tryed the beans? Any recommendations? Trying to decide if I can get through 500g in a couple of weeks :lol:
jon

RE: Happy Donkey beans

Postby propofolpete » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:43 pm

Had to laugh at the
"Happy Donkey Beans"

title, it would make a great T-shirt slogan! :lol:
Sorry about that folks...
so it goes...

Gaggia. Aristarco. Grindenstien. Has beans. SQM.
propofolpete

Postby HughF » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:41 pm

I liked their Light Espresso Blend a while ago but I've used Daterra for the last 2 years or so even after trying the LEB - then again, maybe I'm stuck in a rut!

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:20 pm

Yes, Scott's beans are nice; he primarily supplies cafes and the like. We've tried all of his blends and enjoyed them. My favourites are what he used to call Rich Espresso, though I think the name has changed - you'd have to check with him as it's well worth trying - and the Bourbon Light, which is to me basically like the Illy blend would be if you could get it fresh in the UK; quite an eye opener and very nice. Scott's beans are a lot fresher than most commercial suppliers and they are roasted in the UK. He doesn't do CoE or artisan SOs so don't expect to find them, but he does have some nice blends that can make very good every day coffees :)

Edit: Typos
Last edited by CakeBoy on Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:20 pm

I've been meaning to try some for ages, and hope to get my hands on some soon. I know that Cakey has had some in the past and enjoyed them.
Trying new beans is one of the cheapest things you can do, which will create the biggest difference. I reckon it is always worth a punt!
[Edit: The b*gger answered whilst I was replying :P]
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:27 pm

I did it on purpose ;) :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby jon » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:13 pm

ah, that's good to know - will try some for xmas :D
jon

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping