Reccomend me some greens :)

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Reccomend me some greens :)

Postby Chivalry » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:25 pm

K im nearly out of green beans so need to order some pronto :) can anyone reccomend anything thats easy to roast and is forgiving ? cheers :)

probably a 2KG bag of sumthin from Hasbean :)
Chivalry

Postby toast21 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:49 pm

I'm a big fan of the Indonesian Java Blawan from Pennine. Click herethen select the resulting link for Java Blawan.

Works great as an espresso or in milky drinks

I think they're fairly easy to roast... I would have recommended the Brazilian Yellow Bourbon but they seem to be out of this

Actually the Etheopian Yirg here is quite good as well - very interesting as a latte or even americano which seems to stretch the taste and you get some definate lemongrass coming out

EDIT: Darn that first link seems to have gone freaky but i'm sure you can figure out the link :)

Mod's Edit: URL(s) repaired and edited to fit page/prevent stretching. Yes, that was a weird one. I think the BBCode didn't like the brackets in Rob's url, so I've adjusted it to point to the link.
In the middle of darkness a voice spoke to me. "Smile and be happy" it said, "For things could be worse". So I smiled, and was happy, and things got worse.

- Iberital L’Anna
- Mazzer SJ
- Reg barber Tamper
toast21

Re: Reccomend me some greens :)

Postby Bertie_Doe » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:26 pm

Chivalry wrote:K im nearly out of green beans so need to order some pronto :) can anyone reccomend anything thats easy to roast and is forgiving ? cheers :)
probably a 2KG bag of sumthin from Hasbean :)

What you need to do is write two short lists.
One would be origins you like and the other would be one's you dislike.
Someone with similar taste buds, could supply useful info.

QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby Chivalry » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:40 pm

um... dunno anything about origins :) and dont think ive ever tasted a coffee i have disliked .... :) i like strong creamy flavours without any sharpness if that makes any sense ;/
Chivalry

Postby toast21 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:41 am

Chivalry, I think try the ones I mentioned above or even the etheopian longberry harrar from HB is quite a safe bean
In the middle of darkness a voice spoke to me. "Smile and be happy" it said, "For things could be worse". So I smiled, and was happy, and things got worse.

- Iberital L’Anna
- Mazzer SJ
- Reg barber Tamper
toast21

Postby fred25 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:24 am

if you like strong creamy flavour I'd suggest the Injerto from HB as a possible bean - lovely butterscotch taste, no sharpness all smooth great body mmmmmhhh! (can't wait for my 2 kilos to arrive!) :D

Or more on the caramel side La Fany Bourbon?
Au réveil, il était midi.
fred25

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:16 pm

Yes, Injerto is a lovely bean Fred :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:41 pm

For me one of the fascinating aspects about the whole coffee thing is that we don't just learn how to make it, we begin to learn what we like about it.

I think one mistake beginners make is to think they have to already know what they like. For the most part, the differences in coffees are rather subtle. It takes a trained palate to recognise the citrus, caramel, woody flavours about which we often speak here.

Even if a person has been drinking coffee for years he or she may not recognise the different nuances in flavour.

If you buy two or three varieties from HB or another reputable source you can begin to experiment and to learn what you like best. I don't mean blending, I mean roasting single origins and trying them one at a time. My personal selection for 3 beans would be Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, Brazilian Daterra and a Central American such as Guatemalan. Since you say you don't know of a coffee you dislike you can't really go wrong this way and you will learn a lot about the different characteristics of coffee.

Have fun and let us know what you decided to do and how it came out. :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Kaz » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:01 pm

bruceb wrote:It takes a trained palate to recognise the citrus, caramel, woody flavours about which we often speak here.

Too true - I can't identify the difference between sour and citrus. Also agree with what you say about trying SOs.
Pavoni Europiccola | Bodum drip cafetiere | Neapolitan flip pots x 3 | French press x 2 | Mocha stove top | Swiss gold filter | Zass maunal grinder | Prima popper
Kaz

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping