Herbazú

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Herbazú

Postby icke » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:21 am

just tried roasting the 3rd batch of the herbazú. after having quite some difficulties with it being very acidic in the previous roasts, with the 3rd roast now i let it go just into rolling 2nd. the beans were not showing any oils after being dumped but do now just a bit about 2 days later. following steve's updosing and temp increase advise i have now managed to pull a really delicious shot!!! it still seems to have a bit acidity but it's very smooth and plenty of sweetness - yum!

has anybody else tried it?
Black KvdW Speedster / Arrarex Caravel / Elektra Nino / Vario / Huky 500 / and a bunch of less frequently used things...
LMWDP #386
icke

RE: Herbazú

Postby fred25 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:20 am

Have 2 kilos at home, meaning to roast them but have a large backlog of other coffees to roast.... and then there's the gethumbwini - I'm hooked on it! Would love to hear too what other members have to say about the herbazu though...
Au réveil, il était midi.
fred25

Postby icke » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:55 am

which gethumbwini, the peaberry?
Black KvdW Speedster / Arrarex Caravel / Elektra Nino / Vario / Huky 500 / and a bunch of less frequently used things...
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby icke » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:05 pm

just had another shot of the herbazu - boy i love that stuff. very thick and siroupy. very sweetish and some tones of fruit - YUM!!! (i know, i'm repeating myself but i couldn't help it) ;)
seems to be one of the more difficult beans that i have tried so far though. the initial two roasts i did were really just tongue bitingly sour...
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby fred25 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:14 pm

icke wrote:which gethumbwini, the peaberry?

no, the 'normal' one - I'd love to try the peaberry, which I haven't ordered yet. On the other hand I'm a bit afraid of really over-the-top coffees (though I don't know if that's the case of the peaberry, I hasten to add); the Geisha didn't do it for me, and I still have about 1.5 kilos of something called the 'Juan San Francisco Project' from Sweet Marias: really fruity (something that was actually spelled out quite clearly in fact when I bought it), so fruity in fact that it's really off-putting, I find. Same about the Yemen they had a while back (Mattari I think, not the Matrar from Steve) - so much aromatic wood you've got the feeling you're chewing branches of the stuff!

I love coffees with strong profiles; it's just that when one trait is too overbearing it kills the whole. Imbalance, but in proportion! (this actually would be an interesting thread; what people think consitutes a good profile in terms of proportions of different characteristics).

Anyway, the 'normal' Gethumbwini is just gorgeous. Gotta go hunt down the cupping/roasting notes for the Herbazu though, your post got me salivating! :D
fred25

Postby Coffeebreak » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:12 pm

I am thinking that this may become my new favourite bean!

Until now I was loving Brazil Fazenda Cachoeira. Well, I still do, but it was never a bean that made me think "wow, I want another shot, RIGHT NOW!"

This Costa Rican temptress on the other hand is beckoning me with her exciting flavours and saying "ignore all that talk about overdosing on caffeine, drink me, drink me now!"

OK, so, to sum up... LOVING IT!
Rancilio Silvia (with PID) and Rocky Doserless
Cona Vac Pot - Table Model "B"
Grindenstein knockbox
Almost complete set of Bodium doublewalled glasses
Coffeebreak

Postby kingseven » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:03 pm

The Herbazu is a lovely coffee, though the roast is a bit of a pain. I always liked it around the 17g mark, pulled quite tight but not too short. Occasionally had a strange but pleasing herbal note. We ended up roasting it slow and quite long but just into rolling second - all the acidity really does demand muting down.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Sunnyfield » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:50 pm

I have played with this bean a little bit. All roasts were linear ramps, stopped after 15 to 16 minutes. The roast into rolling 2nd was most pleasing. Any shorter and you cannot escape from the acidity. In the first two days I tasted very earthy tones and herbs. After three days it became a more generic espresso. In all honesty, I find it a very difficult bean to pull consistent and good shots. I would say only one in four are acceptable to me. Perhaps I should slow the roast even more.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby espressomattic » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:28 pm

I found this works well in the oven of all things! I tried on the Gene and whilst it was OK, the acidity was a tad overwhelming. Now I am Oven roasting, the deeper tones are coming through and the acidity is noticebly less. I had taken it into 2C, but will give rolling 2C a try.
espressomattic

Postby EricC » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:37 am

NordicNed wrote:acidity was a tad overwhelming. , the deeper tones are coming through and the acidity is noticebly less. I had taken it into 2C, but will give rolling 2C a try.

I have taken this bean into Rolling 2nd in my Hottop and find that taking it this far in the roast certainly tames this bean, at least as far as i am concerned. I also seem to remember reading that my grinder can accentuate the high notes of all beans so maybe this is a part roast and part grinder phenomenon.

Eric
KvdW Speedster, Versalab M3/4, Kafatek Monolith MAX
EricC

Postby Gadders » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:58 pm

Send me some matt :P
Gadders

Postby Sunnyfield » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:39 am

I changed the roast curve from linear to a "quick" ramp to 1st crack (10 minutes) and then stretching it to rolling 2nd around 16 minutes. All acidity is gone and it is just a pleasant coffee. In the end I just prefer lighter espresso roasts.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping