Storing Green Beans

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Storing Green Beans

Postby motoman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:08 pm

Reading Kenneth Davids book 'Home Coffee Roasting' I have discovered to my horror that I am guilty of Green Bean Abuse. For the past couple of years I have imported beans in comparative bulk and stored them in a large plastic lidded container. I now discover that they should be taken from their 5lb plastic bags and stored in a breathable container to prevent them from getting mould or mildew. Good air circulation in a cool environment is essential and may even improve the bean.

Luckily I have a few small burlap coffee bags handy and rapidly transferred as much as posible to these, the rest is now in a cardboard box. Not the ideal solution but better than nothing. I need more of these or similar jute bags, anyone got a tame supplier?
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

RE: Storing Green Beans

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:16 pm

If your needlework skills are up to it, ou could try to scrounge a few sacks from a roastery and make some small bags. George made his own a while back :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby oddlight » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:56 pm

Pillow cases are also ideal (thanks for tip Dave). Look for supermarket value ranges.

Otherwise, buy some very cheap material (got any old curtains?) and grab a sewing machine.

Andy
oddlight

Postby bruceb » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:19 pm

I've been using paper sacks for years now. They're cheap, easy to come by and are easily disposable/replaceable.

Far be it from me to want to disagree with Kenneth Davids, but in my experience beans stored in cellophane, HB silver plastic bags, etc. don't get mouldy or mildewed. I had some Guat that had been stored for over a year in a sealed plastic bag and I took it into the lab and had it tested for mould growth. Nothing was found on it above background level, so I used it and enjoyed it.

Certainly if you are storing tonnes of beans you will need to be careful and possibly there are differences with different beans.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:49 pm

Our greens seem fine in the silver bags that Steve supplies them in and some have been around over a year now. I like the look of little jute bags though :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby motoman » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:29 am

Reading further, and paying attention for a change, It seems that it is the softer beans that can have problems. Luckily I go for a hard bean. Secondly it it only in cold damp conditions that trouble can arise so I keep them well away from my ex wife.

The plastic tubs will be replaced by wooden wine crates from my local booze merchant, (I think I paid for his Mercedes).
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Re: RE: Storing Green Beans

Postby HughF » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:18 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Our greens seem fine in the silver bags that Steve supplies them in and some have been around over a year now. I like the look of little jute bags though :)

Owing to a slight mix-up, I'm now roasting the remainder of a 5lb bag of El Salvador Monte Leon Miel from 2005. It has been stored in the original ZipLoc plastic bag at room temperature all this time - maybe it would taste better if it were this year's crop but it tastes very good in a cafetiere even now.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

RE: Re: RE: Storing Green Beans

Postby espressomattic » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:58 pm

My greens from Rocket come in Brown Paper bags, although I did find some Indo RObusta that must be nealy 18 months old stored in a silver bag and no issues with them at all. Personally I am not in favour of bulk storing greens and only have a couple of kilos at a time which lasts about 4 weeks or so...sometimes...so storage for me is not really an issue.
espressomattic

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping