Souring Costa Rica Cafetalera Herbazú

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Souring Costa Rica Cafetalera Herbazú

Postby johnny » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:06 pm

Hey everyone ... Just finishing 250g of Costa Rica Cafetalera Herbazú from Steve.

Definately the most interesting bean I have had yet ... I am finally begining to get the flavours that people claim coffees have. ... and I really do get a sense of Candy floss with this.

the only proplem I am having is as an espresso shot the coffee sours very very quickly as the shot cools down. ... with other blends and beans this takes a while, but with this bean I am finding it does it as soon as it drops below hot.

Is this normal for this bean, or is it highlighting a mistake of my extraction ?? ... would I be better off with this bean grinding finer and not tamping as hard so I get more flavour for the same amount of bean ?? .. or something
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny

RE: Souring Costa Rica Cafetalera Herbazú

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:50 pm

We have just finished a bag. It was one of my favourite coffees so far this year. I have not detected any souring during cooling. Sour usually points to temperature issues. Do you get it ever with other beans?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby johnny » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:11 pm

All my coffee sours to some extent as it cools down, but it normally isnt an isue as its drunk before it reaches that temperature ... I just find that this bean starts to sour very quickly, meaning I cant put it down to nibble on a biscuit ... once started the shot HAS to be drunk.
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny

Postby Steve » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:42 pm

I've not had sour from it, if anything it sweetness as it cools, try updoseing it, this might help.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:49 pm

Sounds like the sort of intra-shot temperature loss that we used to get on the Audrey that left, for me, a souring during consumption of the shot. I don't know enough about the Vivi to be aware if this is ever an issue. As you are getting this to some extent with all beans, have you checked your brew pressure and temps?

Edit: Typo
Last edited by CakeBoy on Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby johnny » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:05 pm

I'll try the updosing tonight,

I do get this to an extent with all coffees, none as bad as this one though. Normally with other beans it sours at the point that reaches that temperature that I dont want to drink it anyway ........ I do think I am over sensitive to it though as even Press pot and drip coffee goes tangy to me as it cools down.

I'll Give BB a call to see what the vivi should be running at and how I check it.
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny

Postby kingseven » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:09 pm

What dose are working with at the moment?
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby johnny » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:43 pm

At the moment I am filling the PF and then skimming the top off so its level with the top of the PF, before tamping.

For lack of scales, any updosing or downdosing would have to be done by eye

All though this week I have been lazy, and havent always leveled off before tamping, so its possible I could be under on some shots.

So a definate go at updosing tonight
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny

Postby kingseven » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:53 pm

At 200F/93C (which isn't that hot) I'd say that I had to downdose a bit with lighter roasts, but if you are running a little hotter then your higher dose should work.

kingseven

Postby Steve » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:28 pm

Thats interesting Jim. I've found with my triple basket I get much more of a balanced shot thats why I suggested updoseing it. Its a big bowl of sweetness whichever way.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby kingseven » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:08 pm

I think with the La Spaz you should be fine, because unless you are down below 115 on the boiler I am pretty sure you are running above 93 where the heat will help balance the shot. It really is a great coffee though.

kingseven

Postby johnny » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:51 am

Interesting update.

Well I updosed as much as I dared without risking not being able to lock the PF in place. But I kind of screwed up the tamping though because of it and the shot ended up taking 35+ seconds to extract ... it didnt blonde though so I kept it going for a full 2oz

Despite the long extraction, the shot was a lot better, tasted as it normally does, but the souring didnt start to happen until right near the very end dregs of the drink when it had cooled right down.

Looks like a tripple basket is in order :D

My last attempt this morning before the coffee ran out, was wasted as I forgot what I was doing and just made a latte :roll: .. ah well, it goes great in Latte though, the sweetness of the espresso and sweetness of the stretched milk works really well.

BUT ... its all gone now, so untill I get through the next lot of beans, I'll have to wait until I can play again.

How Close are you to running out of Beans Steve ?????
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny

Postby lukas » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:07 am

If you dose more with the same grind, it's quite normal that the extraction takes longer. For updosing: grind coarser, dose more. For downdosing: grind finer, dose less. And best if you change one variable at a time :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby johnny » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:11 am

hmmm ... sounds like I need 2 more grinders :D
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny

Postby Johnmac » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:37 am

Johnny, I'm drinking this at the moment too. I haven't really managed to get the best out of this, interesting cup but no candy floss for me. :?

How long are you heat flushing for? It takes a little while on the Vivi but it is possible to overdo it.

Edit: Oops, should have read the thread in the espresso forum first :roll:
Izzo Vivi, Iberital MC2, I-Roast2, Whirley Popper
Johnmac

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping