Rwanda Humure from 9th Street Espresso

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Rwanda Humure from 9th Street Espresso

Postby lukas » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:11 pm

Friends of mine took their honeymoon to New York and they kindly offered me to bring back some Coffee with them. I told them to find 9th Street Espresso or Gimmie Coffee and thought they'd bring me some of the standard espresso blend from 9th street or Gimmie, actually. But then came the surprise: I got half a kilo of Rwandan Humure. Albeit it being roasted on 25th July, it's still in good condition and survived the flight back well :)

I just had my first aeropressed cup from it and it's rather nice coffee. on the bag it says "buttery-rich and well-balanced coffee with beautiful, fragrant notes of honey, gentle citrus and roasted pecan". I haven't got yet all that in the cup but I expect to get more out of it once I experimented a bit with grind settings.

The smell of this coffee is overwhelmingly incredible, like citrus blended with marzipan and sweet caramel chocolate ... I really hope that these smells translate equally as good into the cup in the next days!

And I really like their packaging - it's a paper bag on the outside, the inside is plastic, has a valve and a clip to get it (quite) tight again. Very stylish. If I get my USB to work again I post a pic of them.

edit: my camera is crappy and unable to produce viewable images at night.
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

RE: Rwanda Humure from 9th Street Espresso

Postby bruceb » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:36 pm

Ironically, I was given a bag of Rwandan tea this week, as part of a thank you gift for some translation and editing work I did. The tea leaves are tiny and look almost like powder, but when you look at them carefully they are actually rolled leaves. The flavour is wonderful, mild, full and somewhat honey like. Not as good as coffee, though. :wink:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby lukas » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:32 am

I'm currently sipping my first cup of the rwandan ground by a real grinder. Before, I used my small handgrinder which is okay, but now I cleaned the Cimbali and finally run some of the rwandan through that. This is a mighty improvement in the cup, very delicate bright notes, very aromatic and delicious. It's a shame that this coffee is already 4 weeks old as it would be mind boggling when fresh I could only imagine!
Lukas

--
lukas

Postby Aadje » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:36 am

You're getting me really curious here . . .
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby lukas » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:09 am

Well, even if it's 4 weeks old :), with a bit of fiddling with water temperature, brewing method and grind it seems to be getting better. I now do a filter brew in an old melitta porcelain filter with 16g per 250ml ca. 91dgc :) and its really delicious coffee!
I'm quite glad that there is another unopened 12oz bag waiting for me after finishing this one.

The roast is a strange one: medium light I'd say, but with spots of oils showing on the bean. Tasty coffee :)
Lukas

--
lukas

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping