turkish coffee

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

turkish coffee

Postby icke » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:44 pm

from a recent trip to turkey i brought home some green beens that i got of a micro roaster in the bazaar in izmir. they were roasting batch after batch of it, selling green and roasted kahve. my non-existend turkish and their non-existent english/german was just good enough for me to buy a kilo of these beans. so i have no clue what i actually bought there...
they pushed a small info sheet into my hand too, but a friend of mine said it's just about kahve brewing and not about roasting. i have scanned it, so if there is anyone around who can actually read turkish, i can post it here.

i'm just wondering now how that stuff wants to be roasted. anybody an idea??? light, medium, dark or even charcoal??? :lol:

after roasting comes grinding, any advice as too the grinding grade? it seems to me that for proper turkish brewing (it's boiling actually, isn't it?) it needs to be ground rather fine, much finer even than espresso. again, any advice would be great...

cheers,
o
Black KvdW Speedster / Arrarex Caravel / Elektra Nino / Vario / Huky 500 / and a bunch of less frequently used things...
LMWDP #386
icke

RE: turkish coffee

Postby Bertie_Doe » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:39 pm

At the end of a meal in Gocek, Turkey last September, the waiter said "Nescafe?" I replied that I would prefer Turkish coffee instead. I should have taken his advice as the coffee was very gritty' overextracted and bitter, despite the regulation cinnamen and sugar. It's an acquired taste!!

Yes, you should have the grinder on it's finest setting. Most of the local spice shops seemed to sell medium dark although I did see one at very dark with oil showing. If you google up 'Ibrik coffee brewing' you will be spoiled for choice. here is a typical method.

Quentin
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby ivdp » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:57 am

Most Trkish coffee in Turkey is made with a simple blend with a lot of, or pure Unwashed Brazilian Rio/Minas coffee.
Roast ing is done slowly, longish, end result is a (very) light roast.

Grinding, like powder, most machines are not capable of getting a proper Turkish grind.
To achgieve this, use a Turkish grinder specially made for ultra fine grind, or use a Turkish hand grinder to get your powder.

Good luck.

Ivo
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby espressomattic » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:43 am

I actuially agree with IVO here.....

Greek COffee is the same and is roasted quite light. But then in Israel it was pretty dark. OHHHHH I just want one now!!!! :)
espressomattic

Postby icke » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:50 am

don't order greek coffee in turkey or the other way round though! your live may be in danger if you dare to do so!!! ;)

for the brewing itself, there is no need to add any spices to get the real turkish taste, right?
Black KvdW Speedster / Arrarex Caravel / Elektra Nino / Vario / Huky 500 / and a bunch of less frequently used things...
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby espressomattic » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:35 pm

Cardemon is sometimes added.
espressomattic

Postby ivdp » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:54 am

In Turkey many add sugar.
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby espressomattic » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:02 am

They also alledgedly add coffee...but don't you believe it mate ;)
espressomattic

Postby icke » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:07 am

i think i always had just the usual coffee-sugar (lots of it)-water blend. never had any cardamom in it. is it worth trying or will it just spoil the drink?
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby espressomattic » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:13 am

It is what they add in the Middle East, so very authentic - Just don't ask how much!!!!
espressomattic

Postby icke » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:15 am

okay, but if i want to try how much do i need to add then? :lol:
LMWDP #386
icke

Re: RE: turkish coffee

Postby bruceb » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:38 am

icke wrote:okay, but if i want to try how much do i need to add then? :lol:

Be a bit cautious. :shock:

My wife (then gf) and I once added about two tsp cardamom to a pot of strong coffee and half an hour later we began feeling like that 17-year old who drank 7 doubles in a short time. :lol:

Try about a 1/4 tsp in a large ibrik or less according to how much you are making. If you think you would like a bit more you can try it the next time. It gets rather medicinal tasting if you add too much.

In my experience this isn't all that common in Turkey. Traveling through Anatolia to Kayseri and beyond I was never served coffee with any spices. The only places I had it was in Istanbul and Ankara coffee shops visited mostly by tourists.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby BazBean » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:40 am

On the cardamon measurment ?

is that dried full pods, the seeds or ground/powdered?
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby bruceb » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:09 pm

Oh, sorry. We use(d) seeds ground in a mortar, although powdered is fine if it isn't too old.

Here again, however, use this as a guideline and add more or less according to your taste. Powdered out of the tin, btw, can vary greatly in strength.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Re: RE: turkish coffee

Postby Bertie_Doe » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:23 am

ivdp wrote:Most Trkish coffee in Turkey is made with a simple blend with a lot of, or pure Unwashed Brazilian Rio/Minas coffee.
Roast ing is done slowly, longish, end result is a (very) light roast.

Ivo

Yep, you're right about a lightish roast. In my reference book 'Coffee' by Hermes House, under the section : Turkish Ibrik, they suggest brewing the coffee and the sugar together. "...... variations from the basic Turkish taste can be obtained by adding cardamom pods, a stick of cinnamon or aniseed to the brew".

They suggest placing the ibrik on a lowish heat. As it comes to the boil, quickly remove from heat and stir. Repeat another 2 times but do not stir on the final brewing.

"The only real difficulty is obtaining the right blend ....... distinctive taste due primarily to rio-y flavoured Brazilian beans which are usually blended with Ethiopian ones." On the subject of roast-level "..... the coffee is usually a reddish-brown shade, not dark at all."

QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping