turkish coffee

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

RE: Re: RE: turkish coffee

Postby bruceb » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:16 am

I think we better go back to having an "irony" icon again. :shock: :? :roll: :lol:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:14 pm

Welcome to TMC Erhan :). I think there may be a little confusion in the way different languages are used to refer to things. In English 'Turkish Coffee' is used as a reference to the style of production rather than to suggest coffee that originates in Turkey. Quite a few TMC'ers enjoy using their ibrik to brew an intense little coffee using beans ground to a powder type consistency. You are quite right that coffee beans are not grown in Turkey :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:33 pm

Yeah but Mark, coffee isn't really grown in the UK either, and yet Tristan has already has his first cups from his first harvest :D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Verbum » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:57 pm

ok, then cakeboy my mistake. :lol: .Salute
There are many roasting types of turkish coffee as well. The double roasted coffee is my favorite.
There are many brewing types as well. You can have different types in different countries like Greece, Bosnia, Lebanon, ıraq, iran etc. (ex cities of the ottoman empire) Also there are many different roasts in Turkey as well. There is one place in istanbul serves 'manda batmaz' (means buffalo doesn't sink :lol: ). It's brewed in hot water with twice coffee of general brewing; Very heavy, very dense.
Verbum

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:09 am

:lol: Buffalo doesn't sink! What a fantastic term, I wonder how they came up with that :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Beanie » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:25 am

I love it! "Buffalo doesn't sink" :lol: :lol:
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:43 am

You can lead a buffalo to espresso, but you can't make it sink! :roll:
Gouezeri

Postby Verbum » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:56 am

:D Probably, it refers that the coffee is so dense, even a buffolo doesn't sink.
Verbum

Postby bruceb » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:53 am

Ah, yes! It's like the proverbial cup that is so strong a spoon stands up in it. But the buffalo is by far a better analogy. Hmmmmm, I have a friend with a herd of water buffalo. This may call for an experiment. 8)
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby ivdp » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:38 am

I heard water buffalo's are easier to grind.
Good luck with the experiment.

PS
You can send me some steaks if grinding proofs unsuccesfull.
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby Aadje » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:44 am

or mozarella?
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Re: RE: Re: RE: turkish coffee

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:47 am

Gouezeri wrote:You can lead a buffalo to espresso, but you can't make it sink! :roll:

Kitchen sink? ;) :D :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Re: RE: Re: RE: turkish coffee

Postby fred25 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:44 am

Gouezeri wrote:You can lead a buffalo to espresso, but you can't make it sink!

I think the correct citation is: "You can lead a buffalo to espresso, but you can't make it sing"

This is because buffalo have a truly awful voice - in fact, there is an edict from 1306 in the kingdom of Penang (nowadays Malaysia) that specifically forbids owners of buffalos (in particular water buffalos) to let them sing, whether the buffalos had coffee or not.

I think this was in direct response to the infamous 1305 'Buffalo Choir Competition Riots', when buffalo owners decided to organise a contest of buffalo group-singing that resulted in spontaneous acts of violence and unrest across the whole of the province.

(History doesn't record whether said coffee had an impact on the tone quality of their voices, but given that the edict was a blanket ban on their singing one must assume that, for better or worst, it did not)
Au réveil, il était midi.
fred25

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: turkish coffee

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:16 pm

Blankets were banned too? My, how times have changed!
Gouezeri

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: turkish coffee

Postby fred25 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:18 pm

yep, apparently when the buffalos are cold they're less prone to singing :P
Au réveil, il était midi.
fred25

PreviousNext

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping