Zigana Espresso Blend

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Zigana Espresso Blend

Postby espressomattic » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:49 pm

Really nice blend!

Spoke to the roaster who said it was a pure arabica blend of 5 different beans (Closely guarded secret :D ) They were taken to quite a darkish roast, possisbly just into 2C by the looks of the beans.

They are 90% Fair Trade :? But it is pretty good. Deep rich earth noted and some nice Dark Chocolate. A little bit mushroomy too. There is the slightest hint of Citrus in there. The mouthfeel is somewhat viscous like and creamy. It is sweet with a subtle undertone of the roast profile poking through, which is quite pleasent.

There is totally no acidity in the cup whatsoever. The crema is a lovely dark red/terracotta and very thick and long lasting.

I would rather see this roasted just a tad lighter to bring out the idividual beans, but that is just me.

8/10!
espressomattic

RE: Zigana Espresso Blend

Postby Gadders » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:24 pm

Sounds great :)

(whats all the fuss about :P :D )
Last edited by Gadders on Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gadders

Re: RE: Zigana Espresso Blend

Postby Steve » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:25 pm

Gadders wrote:Sounds awesssssome :)

Be careful some people might start to make fun of you for using Awessssssome too often ;)
Steve
Founder Member

RE: Re: RE: Zigana Espresso Blend

Postby bruceb » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:33 pm

Loved your description Breako! Image

So there you go. Finally a good Fair Trade coffee...or what? :?
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Gadders » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:41 pm

Hahaha, sticky fingers :P i shall limit my usage and instead use the following list of adjectives...

overwhellllllllming
grannnnd
breathhhhh-taking
splennnnndid
remarrrkable

:P
Last edited by Gadders on Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gadders

Postby espressomattic » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:46 pm

Mate here are some new ones to add to your list

Sweet
Choice
Primo
espressomattic

Postby Gadders » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:47 pm

Not enough repeated letters im afraid...
Gadders

Re: RE: Zigana Espresso Blend

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:56 pm

Steve wrote:
Gadders wrote:Sounds awesssssome :)

Be careful some people might start to make fun of you for using Awessssssome too often ;)

Hey, it must be great to have groupies watching your every move and imitating you all the time in the name of ridicule. I'm sure it's one of those self denial hero worship things ;) :lol:

Hey Matty, that sounds fantastic (hey, maybe I'll get some groupie love for that one :wink: ), where did the blend come from? Interesting that the blend is a closely guarded secret. An good read here about blends in general and specifically about keeping them secret. Of course the blend you have there is clearly high quality, but another excellent thought provoking article nevertheless from Gunther's dad :D .
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby johnny » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:20 am

5 different beans ????

Surely with with this amount of different beans, if you are only grinding for one cup at a time, you are likely to find every drink tastes different as you could end up with varying different percentages of each bean ????

ie with 2 bean mix, you will always get a consistent mix, ... but with 5 beans you must occasionaly grind a shot only to find that 2 of the beans didnt even appear in the shot with any overwhelming amount ?

Does this make sense ????

Unless you grind a lot of beans to ensure a consistant mix of the correct percentage of beans, dont you find each shot will differ ?
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:45 pm

Yup makes sense to me Johnny. Another TMC'er and I were discussing the potential for this happening with blends in general only this past weekend.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping