A new adjective for your lists...

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

A new adjective for your lists...

Postby Gadders » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:50 am

Well, ive just opened up my bag of Brazil Jaboticabas - Jose Ribas CoE.... im confident the beans smell exactly like baxters 'hearty vegetable broth" soup! :shock: :?

Amazing as espresso though - like drinking bitumen :D
Gadders

Postby GreenBean » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:43 pm

One to avoid then, unless you need to resurface a drive! :o

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Re: A new adjective for your lists...

Postby johnny » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:41 pm

Gadders wrote:the beans smell exactly like baxters 'hearty vegetable broth" soup! :shock: :?

:? hmmmm, not sure I got that with my last order of Jaboticabas ...... you sure your other half isnt using your grinder to make soup with ??? :mrgreen:
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny

RE: Re: A new adjective for your lists...

Postby lukas » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:15 pm

I've noticed this 'broth'-smell on a few occasions now with different coffees, both homeroasted and professionally. Does it have any special meaning or cause? The coffee's turned out mostly nice after aging a few days.
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

RE: Re: A new adjective for your lists...

Postby Gadders » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:52 pm

Result! :D Not just me then! I just shoved my nose in the bag as soon as i opened it and got hit with this strangely familiar broth-esque odour :P

Actually i say baxters, might've been weight watchers :oops: :P
Gadders

Postby Olings » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:52 am

I find that the perception of smell of one coffee is in a big way influenced by what you smelled right before it. When we cupped crappy supermarket brand preground coffee next to CoEs freshly roasted, the latter at first smelled like dried fish! :shock:

After smelling a couple of different CoEs and then going back to the pregrounds they smelled like sawdust...

I think it has to do with the strenght of the odor. I'm not saying that this is why the Brazil smelled like broth, just adding a strange-smell-story I guess. :wink:

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Re: RE: Re: A new adjective for your lists...

Postby bruceb » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:33 am

Gadders wrote:Actually i say baxters, might've been weight watchers :oops: :P

Phil, why in heaven's name do you know what anything from weight watchers smells like? Son, you had better be careful! Anorexia kills! :twisted:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Gadders » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:21 am

Olings wrote:I find that the perception of smell of one coffee is in a big way influenced by what you smelled right before it. When we cupped crappy supermarket brand preground coffee next to CoEs freshly roasted, the latter at first smelled like dried fish! :shock:

After smelling a couple of different CoEs and then going back to the pregrounds they smelled like sawdust...

I think it has to do with the strenght of the odor. I'm not saying that this is why the Brazil smelled like broth, just adding a strange-smell-story I guess. :wink:

Ola

Funny you should say that - the other week i had a shot directly after having a cup of tea, and the shot tasted remarkably like fish :cry:

Haha, that would be my dad buying the weight watchers soup :wink: :P Quite nice though :roll:
Gadders

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping