Old brown Java

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Old brown Java

Postby chemistone » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:45 pm

Last week I was at Joris place and had a good time. Had a very good espresso from his Faema E61. It is a great machine (both in size :D and performance) and amazing it still runs after 43 years (we have older members here, so not that surprising;)).

After a coffee and a good chat we started roasting some OBJ on his Gene. He/we roasted it into rolling second crack and at the end of the day I took the beans home, thanks again Joris.
Today I started using the beans and the coffee was great. It looked very gloopy (is that a word?), honey like stream. Lots of crema and it tasted pretty good, very earthy. Don't know if I like it as SO, but the first impression of home roasting was good. I was one of the first times I experienced fresh roasted coffee and I really really liked it.

Just have to wait for a few weeks....
As a final touch God created the Dutch

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

RE: Old brown Java

Postby espressomattic » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:56 pm

With OBJ I think you either love it or hate it. If you survived then you are a true hero :D

It is a heck of a coffee to try as an SO and only a true man would dare such a thing. I take my hat off to you in utter admiration.

OBJomattic
espressomattic

Postby chemistone » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:22 pm

Well I don't know if that is brave, you don't have to be brave if you're ignorant....

Joris asked me what coffee I liked, I answered that I didn't like the very acidic coffees, but the more bitter and darker ones. So he suggested me the OBJ and that's why I have OBJ now. To be honest he warned me about drinking it as ristretto. I think it is good to know how the different types of beans taste before starting to blend.
As a final touch God created the Dutch

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Postby Steve » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:52 pm

Another marmite coffee love it or hate it :)

It can be a really good blender too as it has that lovely tobacco hints.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby orkney_rob » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:41 pm

I had a bag of the Java from Hasbean - quite enjoyed it myself, but my wife really wasn't so keen. She thought it just plain odd, but as it is now finished and we are working through some Breakfast Bomb she is rather happy... and awake ;-)
orkney_rob

Postby Walter » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:10 pm

I used to love it with a Yemen Matari in a simple mocca/java blend...
fa' zoccu hai di fari e li fatti d'àutru nun guardari....

This week I are mostly playing with my new water kettle... :)
Walter

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:16 am

Ah, Old Brown Pants... where is George when you want him? (not that that happens often :twisted:)
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Johnmac » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:45 am

Does OBJ vary much in its pungency?

I've just finished a 2kg bag of Hasbean's OBJ. While it certainly had some kick and the flavours that I've heard you should expect from it, I thought it worked quite well as an SO. (Okay, only if you don't mind a negative score for clean cup.) Does some OBJ veer a little more to the undergarment end of the taste spectrum?
Izzo Vivi, Iberital MC2, I-Roast2, Whirley Popper
Johnmac

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping