lighter roast=more acid??

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Fatboy_007 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:55 am

Some roasters definitely do roast light. Steve is one of these I think, and that for SO blends thuis really works well, and makes for some distinctly 'uncoffee' like coffees sometimes. Almost everything from Hill and Valley is roasted a lot darker and I have to admit that if you can get their Bourbon Espresso fresh and nail it, it is exquisite, really full and chocolatey. However the SOs can be roasted almost to the point of anihalation. So for me Steve for SO, and H&V for Esspresso blends if you can get them really fresh.

That said i havent tried Steve's moe 'exotic' Espresso blends for a while so i think i feel an order coming on.
| Silvia | Rocky & Zass| Custom Fatboy Reg Barber | Aeropress |
| Beans, Beans, Beans | & Enthusiasm, but no real talent! |
Fatboy_007

Postby Olings » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:47 am

The way I see it, there isn't necessarily a connection between roasting light for SOs and roasting light espresso blends. I don't think our espresso roast is particularly light. It also depends on what the blend consists of. Some coffees are just too acidic for espresso at a lighter roast. You can compensate this to a degree by brewing at a slightly higher temperature, but for the average home barista this is not an option as one can't control the machines that finely.

Because of this we try to roast our espresso to a darker roast albeit not charcoal as we use CoEs in our blend. For the charcoal roast you could put almost whatever beans you'd like in the blend, and noone would notice any difference. It just tastes of smoke and caramellized sugar.

Que angry replys from The League of Dark Roasters... :twisted:

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Postby huub » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:53 pm

YEAAH!! I have found the answer: Brazil Fazenda Santa Terezinha Certified Organic
dark, but not smoky tasting, sweet but still a depth of taste, and all my favourite tastes:
chocolate sweetness and earthiness.. I love it!!
excellent, smithers...

Isomac Itala, waterfilter, some shiny grinder that works pretty well, but has no brand I think.
huub

Previous

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping