"Base" for a blend

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

"Base" for a blend

Postby lukas » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:54 am

In Steve's current monthly survival pack I found the Brazil Fortaleza Pupled Natural (thanks for that one Steve!). It's the first time since the LaCimbali and I are good friends that I tried a Brazilian Coffee in the espressomachine, and I think I now get it when people say "... is a good base for an Espresso blend".

This Bean makes a very nice espresso, I had a very delicous ristretto today as well as quite a good double from it and it's very smooth and balanced, reminds me a bit of cocoa, but that can be due to the cold I just catched up :)

This bean has no specific special features on it's own if I may say so, but because it's so smooth and balanced I can imagine adding some Zing-Kenyan to it or maybe a Yirgacheffe would give a very nice blend!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

RE: "Base" for a blend

Postby Steve » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:21 am

Yirg would be lovely, Kenya, that's a different story don't get me started :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby lukas » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:31 am

I know Steve, I know! After the lowlands meet where I had the chance to roast a Kenyan Rukira Peaberry blend I bought some Yirgacheffe. And guess what? 60% Yirg plus 40% of the Kenyan (admittedly roasted tisri style ;)) made me some really nice and very special shots of pure citrus and berrys and a little fruit! Very strange but very delicious :)
Lukas

--
lukas

Postby lukas » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:20 pm

I just started blending with what I had lying around, I didn't want to waste that nice Brazilian as a 'boring' SO:

1. 50% Yirgacheffe 50% Brazilian Fortaleza Pupled Natural
Not very satisfying, on one side too much fruit and acidity, not much left in there from the Brazilian.

2. 40% Yirg 40% Brazilian 20% Sulaweis/Celebes Kalossi
Now this is a smooth and enjoyable Espresso! I don't know the exact figures in that blend 'cause I used half-full cups as a measure ;), but in this blend somehow the sharpness and overwhelming fruitiness of the Yirg dissolved in a very palatable Espresso that was spicey with a nice body and at the same time with a hint of smooth acidity very balanced. If that makes any sens :)

3. and this one I 'just' tried in a mokkapot at Jessica's: 1/3 Yirg 1/3 Brazil 1/6 Sulawesi 1/6 Kenya Rukira Peaberry
The peaberry blend to me often tastes very overwhelming, like it's just too much for the palate. But in this blend I could taste a very nice hint of that overwhelming peaberry taste that was calmed down by the body and fruitiness of the rest of them. I actually had 2 cups one yesterday one this morning and really really enjoyed them. Every now and then I get this surprise on how good a coffee made by the mokkapot can actually taste :)
Lukas

--
lukas

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping