Hasbean's Brazil Fazenda Cachoeira

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Hasbean's Brazil Fazenda Cachoeira

Postby orkney_rob » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:07 pm

Just opened a packet of this to follow on from the much better success I have been having with the Harrar (also from Hasbean). First shot wasn't bad, but ground too fine so took...erm... ages to pour! Still - it looked pretty good ;) Backed the grind off a couple of notches and voilla - thick, creamy loveliness poured forth! I even got the beginnings of "tiger stripes" on the crema as I have heard referred too!

Still getting some sour/bitter notes coming through, but that may be partially due to the tap water as I have noticed a metallic-ness to the taste. Running it through a Brita filter helps, but doesn't eliminate this taste. Wonder if that could be the source of my problems???

Anyway - this stuff - lovely. Try it if you haven't already!
orkney_rob

RE: Hasbean

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:49 pm

Cach is one of the most amazing coffees ever and probably still the jewel in Steve's crown for it's quality and versatility. You really shouldn't get bitter or sour with any coffee. If it's bitter, it may be too hot and conversely sour suggests too cold, though if your water tastes anyway that may well, as you suggest, be the cause.

Breako and I experienced the metallic flavour you are describing once from a shot prepared on the Audrey (not Cach). We never did get to the bottom of it but it made us wretch. The intershot temperature drop was our final conclusion.

Anyway, Cach should be buttery caramel and creamy. What machine were you using?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby orkney_rob » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:56 pm

It's an Ascaso Arc. It does hold the heat well - being one of the few lower end machines with loads of brass (group, head and boiler I think).

I am not getting so much of the sourness now, but the coffee is certainly more bitter and less smooth than some of the best espresso that I have had, but I am now getting stuff that I am happy to drink straight, rather than only drink in a milk based concoction! I may see if I can persuade GeorgeW to pop by sometime to give me a master class in coffee making as I am almost certain to be doing something wrong and a few pointers would get me headed off in the right direction a lot faster!

The metallic taste is in the tap water itself, rather than via the machine. I was reading another thread that suggested trying the water for taste - which I hadn't bothered doing since moving as I assumed that it would be identical to the stuff we had 8 miles down the road before we moved a couple of weeks back... nope... totally different :( That was good water and I am surprised that by moving to a more rural area, just a stones throw from the Trossachs, that our water would be equally sweet... alas... still - just have to make sure I fill the water container from my Brita rather than the tap!
orkney_rob

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:50 pm

Ah yes, the Acasco - I remember the other thread now. Was that the one that brews at 15bar all the time? If so, that could explain some of the bitter taints. Yes, George is your man once he finishes his summer jaunt in France :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby AndyM » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:46 pm

I love most of the south american coffees from HB. My current favourite being the Guatemala El Bosque. I'm also trying out some Kenya Gethumbwini for the Aeropress americanos - it tastes of blackcurrents!!! Never really been into the African coffees, but I think the trick is a low brew temp and don't bother with espresso.

I digress...

With my classic I found I had bitterness when I left it on too long to heat up. Now I have a routine where I remove the pf, run the pump for 5 secs, grind, dose, tamp (I'm not quick here BTW ;)), then pull my shot. I have also found that the classic needs a little overdosing - which works really well with a slightly finer grind for a sweeeet thick espresso.

Damn it - gonna have to switch it on now!! :D
AndyM

Postby orkney_rob » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:43 pm

Hmmmm - I do tend to turn it on, make a first cup 20 - 30 minutes later, then leave it on most the day.... I may try your quicker method and see what happens there!

Yep - I have read a review that said something about 15 bar all the time, which was assumed as it was running grinds that would choke up other machines (I don't know if there is an official statement on this). I have managed to choke it once, and had some very, very slow extractions by mistake (well north of 60 seconds) so I am not 100% sure whether it does run 15 bar or not all the time.... no idea how to investigate that one either!

Still - really enjoying this coffee, think it's the Old Java next, or the Breakfast Bomb... I do have a Thesis to write so perhaps the latter ;)
orkney_rob

Re: RE: Hasbean

Postby AndyM » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:49 pm

orkney_rob wrote:I do have a Thesis to write so perhaps the latter ;)

Good luck, mine's taking bloody ages!
AndyM

RE: Re: RE: Hasbean

Postby orkney_rob » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:07 pm

Got a deadline of 14th December to get mine done by... nowt like a bit of pressure to speed things along ;-)

That said I am WAY behind schedule at the moment!!!
orkney_rob

Postby AndyM » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:17 am

well mine was due july 1st. the pressure is on....
AndyM

Postby bruceb » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:34 am

Mine was due in Sept. 1970, but I didn't get it in until June 1971. Somehow, 36 years later it doesn't really seem all that significant anymore.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Re: RE: Re: RE: Hasbean

Postby egraaf » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:58 am

bruceb wrote:Mine was due in Sept. 1970, but I didn't get it in until June 1971. Somehow, 36 years later it doesn't really seem all that significant anymore.

Um, I was born in 1970, I was not really thinking about things like that yet.

Best regards,
Edwin
egraaf

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Hasbean

Postby bruceb » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:39 pm

You can never plan too early! :shock: :lol:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Hasbean

Postby AndyM » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:18 pm

really it was due october 1st last year. i keep getting it extended. home straight now though :)
AndyM

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping