Emergency Beans?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Emergency Beans?

Postby RufusA » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:51 pm

Having been a little slack in ordering some more beans from Steve, I am in the unenviable position that my cupboard is now bare, and unless I buy some beans on the way home, there will be no espresso for me in the morning :shock:

Has anyone got any recommendation for an emergency bean. I don't expect to get Steve's wonderful quality / freshness, but just something I can pick up near Waterloo (London) that will tide me over until I get my order delivered.

Thanks - Rufus.
RufusA

RE: Emergency Beans?

Postby bruceb » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:12 pm

If you have to buy prepackaged beans look for Mauro brand. If they have Mauro Concerto buy that. It is one of the very few packaged espresso blends that I liked and it may be better than some local stuff. Good luck. :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby fred25 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:55 pm

that might be late in the day, but Monmouth coffee roasters on 2 Park Street in Borough should be a good bet. Not too far from Southwark/London Bridge on the Jubilee from Waterloo, probably even wakeable from the waterloo east exit? Hope this helps!
Au réveil, il était midi.
fred25

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:57 pm

We used to use the odd bad of Tesco Colombian in emergencies, though that is going back a fair while.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby canta_brian » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:22 am

I know that this will be a bit late for your emergency but I came across a commercial ban called pitti the other week. I tried 24/7 which turned out to be a decent choice as it produced good crema and was nutty and chocolaty. It was however at my local deli caffe type place so I am not sure if it is widely available.
canta_brian

Postby quink » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Sainsbury's espresso blend can be ok if your in a pinch for beans. Crema from a supermarket bean, not too much, but the silvia can get somewhere between 5-10mm of crema out of it. :shock:
Modified Rancilio Silvia, Gaggia 2600 grinder, La Pavoni Pub 1EV
quink

Postby Gadders » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:04 pm

quink wrote: 5-10mm of crema out of it. :shock:

probs the robusta then?
Gadders

Postby oddlight » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:34 pm

I'm not sure I should say this but ...

Try the Tescos super cheap beans (also as ground) - I think they're 1.30pnd a bag. Obviously, don't expect the worlds best coffee, but IMO they're not really much worse than the other supermarket beans (esp in capps) and at half the price they're cheap enough to bin when better beans arrive.

Otherwise, buy a some green, and roast in a pan on the hob. Very cost effective, and green stays fresh for much longer.

Ducks for cover ....

~A
oddlight

Re: Emergency Beans?

Postby Bertie_Doe » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:51 am

RufusA wrote:Has anyone got any recommendation for an emergency bean. I don't expect to get Steve's wonderful quality / freshness, but just something I can pick up near Waterloo (London) that will tide me over until I get my order delivered.

When I worked at Waterloo 20 years ago, we had an office syndicate and we bought beans from a local roaster. It was an Italian family-run concern and the quality was very good. They would post-blend on request, my fav was Mocha Dor and Mysore.

As you walk down the steps of the mainline station, you have York Road 50 metres to your left. Stop on the steps and look right. The roaster retail/wholesale shop occupies the 2nd and 3rd railway arches IIRC. I do hope they are still there, they were a friendly bunch.

QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby quink » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:46 pm

Gadders wrote:
quink wrote: 5-10mm of crema out of it. :shock:

probs the robusta then?

could well be
Modified Rancilio Silvia, Gaggia 2600 grinder, La Pavoni Pub 1EV
quink

Postby toast21 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:15 pm

hey Rufus, how did it go with the coffee search? Also a bit late but in a pinch, you could PM a friendly london TMC member who has a roasting machine and beg profusely lol
In the middle of darkness a voice spoke to me. "Smile and be happy" it said, "For things could be worse". So I smiled, and was happy, and things got worse.

- Iberital L’Anna
- Mazzer SJ
- Reg barber Tamper
toast21

Postby espressomattic » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:20 am

Mods notified of above Post
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:37 am

Offending posts removed - Matt is not referring to the remaining content.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Johnmac » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:24 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Offending posts removed - Matt is not referring to the remaining content.

That's a relief, I was trying to dicipher the hidden message in Toast's reply. :shock:
Izzo Vivi, Iberital MC2, I-Roast2, Whirley Popper
Johnmac

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping