Different Beans - Different Grind

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Different Beans - Different Grind

Postby robguide » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:44 pm

Just recieved some Daterra Reserve from Hasbean and I'm amazed at how much coarser I need to grind to get a 25 sec pour compared with some cheap supermarket beans I used to set the grinder. Having to use a pretty light tamp too. Is this typical ? Good taste though ! I can still taste it after 1/2 an hour.
robguide

RE: Different Beans - Different Grind

Postby Steve » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:47 pm

Hi Rob

Not unusual at all in fact if it was I'd be worried. I find the same bean over the day can need quite a few clicks even.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby bruceb » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:27 pm

Steve would be worried because of the general rule that says, "the fresher the bean, the coarser you have to grind for the same extraction." :wink: I roasted some of Steve's wonderful Yirgacheffe (have I ever mentioned how much I like Yirg?) a week ago and since then I have had to reset the grinder a full 6 notches (almost a notch per day) finer to get a 25sec/60ml double. This is why "dialing in" the grinder with supermarket beans only provides a rough start for adjustment.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby BazBean » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:04 pm

There is also a humidity factor through out the day to take into account being summer. This is far greater in summer and definetly more stable in colder winter
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:19 pm

There is even a difference between a gas roast (by Steve) and a Genie roast of identical beans of the same roast age - usually a couple of notches we find.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:03 am

And also the darker the roast, like MM dictates heavily the fineness of grind.
espressomattic

Postby robguide » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:29 pm

Thanks ! I think I get the picture ! It does get a bit worrying when you use a lot of expensive coffee trying to get it right. I guess I need to be abit bolder with the MC2 grind adjust. Produced a great cappa for breakfeast this morningwith the Daterra.
robguide

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:42 pm

In the end you get that virtually no coffee is wasted. You find a feel for it and become used to the types of bean you are using. I remember we wasted nearly half a bag of our first good bean purchase, but it soon improves.

Edit: Typo
Last edited by CakeBoy on Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:04 pm

It does take a while like Spongey says, however it does take time and you do indeed get a feel for it. It does produce some funny results....like the time I poured a Lingtong down at Cakeys and it went through in about 5 secs flat!!!! The sad thing is we still drank it! LOL

The adjustment on the MC2 is great (Mine has the same innards) and you really do get a feel for it. It is a shame though that it doesn't have a visual indicator such as numbers as that greatly helps me. Here's a pic of the indicator...
Attachments
DSCF0802.JPG
DSCF0802.JPG (53.01 KiB) Viewed 6526 times
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:27 am

Yeah, Breako's grinder is fab indeed and works well in tandem with the excellent Oscar. Yes, the infamous 'Lingtong Incident'. Very strange indeed. Tasted fine though and had big crema. Do you remember the 'Rancid Metal Incident' through the Audrey (assuming you didn't boil your brain away laying in that sand pool the other day :wink: )? Ahhhh, those were the days :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:29 am

"Rancid Metal" - Hmmmm my favourite! NOT!!! That was just so bad!!
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:50 am

I heaved for ages ......
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping