hasbean yirgacheffe - not very yirg-y taste...

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

hasbean yirgacheffe - not very yirg-y taste...

Postby jon » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:03 pm

Got a bag of hasbean yirg - tastes nice enough, rich, and with a little acidity and fruitiness. Oddly, it doesn't taste much like yirg, though - none of that grapefruity taste, and less acidity than normal.

Brewing in the french press for 4mins - have adjusted grind from coarse to fine, tried different water temperatures, tastes nice but still doesn't really taste like yirg... Am I doing something wrong? Or is that how this bean's meant to taste?
jon

RE: hasbean yirgacheffe - not very yirg-y taste...

Postby kingseven » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:41 am

I think the idea of a Yirg having to taste like anything is perhaps not the best way. Plus I don't think grapefruit is absolutely typical - perhaps if you expected earl grey tea or something more floral?

I haven't tried it but I am sure its a great coffee if Steve is stocking it. I had a press of one two days ago (in Victrola II, Seattle) that was beautiful - really great but spicy, fruity and sweet. Wonderful.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

RE: hasbean yirgacheffe - not very yirg-y taste...

Postby Steve » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:54 am

The current Yirg is very peach and summer fruits far more than grapefruit. I only find that sharp (lovely) grapefruit when its at its very hottest. As it cools it completly changes. I

I think the more we try and break down regions into lots and then into farms (very tough with Africa but I hope the day will come), we will become less lead by what we expect and more what we find in the cup. I think origins that have done this (certainly in south America have lead the way with this) these pre conceptions are and will change.

For instance there would be a time I'd say the same about a Costa Rica, and be able to tell you what it should taste like. Now I'm struggling to tell you what the profile is as its very diverse country.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Olings » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:59 am

From my little experience I've learned that no single origin coffee has to match a generalisation of the country it's grown. Sure it's likely to taste this way rather than that, but this varies from season to season and from one microclimate to the next (plus a million other factors). This is to me what makes SOs interesting. If I buy a blend however I expect consistency from one batch to the next, but even this might vary slighlty if you don't buy from a major company like Illy.

If coffee tasted the same over and over again I'd get bored with it. Yay to diversity!! 8)

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Postby Olings » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:02 am

Ooops! I was writing the post above as Steve posted his reply. I didn't read that first. Honestly! :roll:

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Postby jon » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:51 am

thanks - yeah, it is nice coffee, just not like a yirg I've had before. Will try brewing slightly hotter, then - see if that changes the taste...
jon

Postby orkney_rob » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:47 pm

Olings wrote:
If coffee tasted the same over and over again I'd get bored with it. Yay to diversity!! 8)

Aaah, now this is what I am hoping to find in my coffee journey of discovery! Its the whole reason that I got into real ales and whisky (and would probably get into wine if I went down that road).

I think I am going to enjoy getting to know the world of SO :-)

Anyone for a dram of Islay? ;-)
orkney_rob

Postby Steve » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:51 pm

orkney_rob wrote:

OHHH yes please :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby orkney_rob » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:56 pm

Steve wrote:
orkney_rob wrote:

OHHH yes please :)

Just realised - I have packed all but one bottle of malt already :-(

However, as the one that got away is a very fine cask strength 13 yo, unfiltered Highland Park I think I may just survive until Friday night!
orkney_rob

Postby Steve » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:16 am

completely off topic but I used to hate Ilsa's couldn't bring myself to drink them they were just too peety. But its strange how your tastes can change and develop the old you get I now love the very thing I hated, taste buds are strange.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby ubo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:09 am

My mother used to give me a 'hot toddy' made with Laphroaig when I had a cold as a wee boy, get em young I guess :D
ubo

Postby fred25 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:44 pm

aaaah Laphroiag..... Now you're talking! :)
fred25

Postby Olings » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:33 pm

Talisker is what wins the price at my house!

Ola
Olings

Postby bruceb » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:41 pm

I'll stick with my Yirg any day!
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:19 pm

I am often surprised by the flavours thrown up by any given coffee on any given day. No more so than when sampling Bruce's Yirg. Yes, I do tend to prattle on about this fairly frequently, but it was the biggest surprise any coffee (excepting Esme even though I expected that to be amazing) has even given me. It was simply superb :D

My motto is to enjoy the coffee for whatever it offers up an any given day. For me there is an excitement knowing that any cup could be waiting to give me that wow factor of something superb and/or something unexpected :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping