Yemen Mokha Matrar..... wow

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Yemen Mokha Matrar..... wow

Postby Gadders » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:40 pm

I wont lie to you... this coffee is truly truly truly awesome. This is like nothing i have ever tasted before that's come out of the brewtus... the first shot - so a total guesstimate on the grind and temperature... out it comes.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: rediculous deep red mottled crema all the way through the shot. And the taste.... breathaking, literally. Great deep notes with a pleasant acidity over the top that steve describes, quite rightly, as "divine". I am in total agreement. Probably the only coffee so far i've been able to recognise hints of choccie. I couldn't accept just having one so i had to make another - this is the second shot:

Quite like nothing ive ever tasted before. If you're not drinking this... WHY NOT!!!!!?
Gadders

Postby Cas » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:49 pm

I don't know how you do those red crema shots, but I'm off to order some of that Yemen right now :D

What temperature did you use?
Reneka Techno V2M ~ Mazzer Mini E ~ Swiss Gold
Cas

Postby Gadders » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:57 pm

95oC, might try the next one on 94 to see if its even better :D

Good plan! you wont regret it
Gadders

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:31 pm

Beany very kindly gave us a sample of the Mokha Martar from her stash when it was out of stock at HB. I know what you mean Gadders, it was a serious chocolate hit. Amazing red crema mate. Does anyone else think he is using tomato soup for effect? :wink: :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby lastcoyote » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:44 pm

come on guys get with it! i 'big upped' the yemen ages ago in my 'yummy yemen' post.
yeah nice red crema. actually i've found the yemen to be a most forgiving bean....bless :D
“Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear a coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me -I am happy” - Hamlin Garland

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Cona Vac Pot - Table Model "B"
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby psychomansam » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:44 am

still my best coffee experience was a good yemen...
Bezzera BB105, Hario slim grinder, Hario filter, swissgold filter, aeropress, cafetieres, cold brewer, stovetops, lots of teas...

...and lots of love
:-)
psychomansam

Postby Gadders » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:22 pm

Liking the yemen love here :)
Gadders

Postby nickr » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:08 pm

I almost gave my stock of this bean away. When I roasted it tasted like I had used the soil from a piece of land where sump oil was regularly disposed of and the occasional bonfire of car tyres lit. However when a local coffee expert I am lucky enough to know roasted it for me, I was blown away by the taste and transformation. This is a very difficult bean to roast correctly - you need to stop the roast at the very start of second crack, but second crack is near silent.
Just call me Eeyore
nickr

Postby Steve » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:48 pm

Tis a tough one for sure nick you also have to be careful of chaff fires with it too, I had a hum dinger when I first started roasting nearly burned my garage down :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Gadders » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:53 pm

very grateful steve! :)
Gadders

Postby fred25 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:49 pm

Are there any wood 'overtones' on that yemen? I'm wondering because I ordered about 5 kilos of yemen from sweetmarias a while back and didn't particularly noticed the description of 'aromatic wooden notes', just that they were pretty enthusiastic about it! Anyway, I realised when I roasted it that though I love the overall cup profile, this wooden note drives me nuts - really can't stand it, for some reason. So i was wondering if that is a trait found in most yemeni, or if i'm simply unlucky in picking one that has that characteristic....
Au réveil, il était midi.
fred25

Postby Gadders » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:02 pm

Hmm actually youknow what - i was searching for something i couldn't quite recognise in the cup just now, and yea it could've of a been a woody quality to it - very aromatic.

Just finished off my bag - awwwwwww to die for. (As cakey will testify :P )
Gadders

Postby bruceb » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:41 am

Gadders wrote:Just finished off my bag - awwwwwww to die for. (As cakey will testify :P )

Ah well, that doesn't mean much...Cakey would die for a blueberry muffin! :roll: :lol:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:22 am

..... after I had eaten it of course! :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby lukas » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:36 am

Wouldn't you then be dying from the blueberry muffin cakey?
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping