Cupping with George

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Cupping with George

Postby Bertie_Doe » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:47 am

An interesting cupping article, involving 2 coffee giants, Jim Schulman and George Howell - George was founder of The Cup of Excellance. Apart from cupping, there's some points on storage, not in Jute sacks but in the deep freeze. I've heard of freezing roasted but not greens!

Had a chuckle when I saw the Kenyan Mamuto being used to compare some coffee kit. Result : Eva Solo edges the drip method into 2nd place, with the much hyped Clover, finishing "a distant third." Ok, maybe a different bean on another day, could end in a good result for Clover.

Quentin
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

RE: Cupping with George

Postby Jaanus » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:03 am

it was a good article though... read it couple of weeks back...

You`re right about the results... not all coffee does different methods justice... cross comparison with different profile coffees should be made, forgoing any rash conclusions
La Cimbali Junior D/1
Mazzer Super Jolly
other stuff
------------------------------------
Caffeine. My drug of choice...
Jaanus

Postby Raf » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:29 am

I'm surprised Jim Schulman didn't think of roasting twenty different coffees at twenty different profiles, to be tasted at random intervals with corrections for prevailing winds and hygrometric atmospheric conditions. The man must be slipping... :twisted:
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby bruceb » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:40 am

I will excuse my own ignorance because I only drink espresso, but will someone tell me a bit about the Eva Solo? I've seen pictures of the thing, half undressed as if someone forgot to close its fly, but I had no idea it was anything but just another gimick. What kind of a filter does it use? Why is it any better/different than a press pot or Aerobie?
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby lukas » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:38 pm

The Evasolo is basically just a glass can. You put coffee into it, pour water over it, insert the metal filter mesh, let it sit, and serve. The neopren dress is quite nifty for keeping the coffee warm, but on the other hand you don't want to keep the coffee in that thing for more than a few minutes because you have no way of stopping the extraction.

It has one good side: the taste of the coffee is as pure as it can be (I think). But it's damn expensive. And really beautiful.
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping