Kenya this year?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Kenya this year?

Postby Lambo » Mon May 28, 2007 6:00 pm

Does anybody know what the situation is in Kenya this year? I've been missing my faves, although I guess it's been harder for the growers.
Rancilio Rocky SD, Gaggia Baby,
Hario Bloom, various cafetières, Mellita filter machine, 4 hand-operated grinders, Aeropress
Citroën DS
Lambo

Postby Olings » Mon May 28, 2007 6:42 pm

I tried some Kenya Kagongo Peaberry the other day. It was wonderful with characteristic Kenyan qualities such as blackberry, but it also had nice acidity and some tropical fruityness to it. I'm not sure as to how the crop has been, but judging from our own Steves (Hasbean) blog this year it's better than ever.

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Postby kingseven » Mon May 28, 2007 8:18 pm

The Gethumbwini that a few folks are stocking is excellent this year, tonnes of lovely black fruit and sweetness tempered with a nice fresh acidity. Loving it!
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Steve » Mon May 28, 2007 8:32 pm

Something thats worrying me is the article below.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200705280074.html

But everything I've tried so far this year is really much improved, if not still a little fresh. In my mind its going to get better, once its not so green.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby mattmills » Wed May 30, 2007 12:57 pm

Guys interesting debate, with many different angles and views.
What i can say is that this season there has been very little almost no TOP lots. However, ther overall quality has been pretty good with good volume of PLUS qualities. The Estates which tend to produce an earlier crop where of a pretty good quality, but the Co-ops which tend to be higher grown and slightly later did not meet expectations with regards to cup quality.
All in all a funny season.
The last month or so has seen the quality really drop as we are now in the tail end.

With regards to the bigger debate. This season should have been top notch with very good rains providing a solid platform. However, although the volume has been ok, as mentioned the quality has been rather dissapointing. Reasons for this are open to opinion. A couple of options are: 1) The effect of the Ruriu 11 strain, although this is a strong planet the cup is by no mean equal to that of the traditional varieties. 2) Possible impact of the second window, preventing some of these top lots from standing out at auction.

No hard facts here but a couple of thoughts for you to digest.
mattmills

Postby lastcoyote » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:26 pm

well all i can say is that the gethumbwini i've just had from 'has bean steve' is wonderful. yummy in my cona vac pot. very creamy and fruity! well worth grabbing while stocks last! makes me want to get my chops round some other kenyans..
“Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear a coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me -I am happy” - Hamlin Garland

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Cona Vac Pot - Table Model "B"
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby mattmills » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:26 pm

Sorry guys dont get me wrong, there have been some top lots, and the gethumbwini was very good this year and came through quite early.
I was talking more of the crop as a whole, far less tops lots than normal, rather dissapointing
mattmills

Postby lukas » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:04 pm

At this point I think it would be wise to remember everyone on TMC how small our speciality coffee market is compared to the regular commercial-quality grade coffee ... thanks for listening.
Actually, I would be very interested in numbers on this ... Matt? You're sitting at the source, don't you? :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby mattmills » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:23 am

Lukas, very good point. You are right the speciality segment as a whole is very small, and the one that we are discussing on here is even smaller. There are numbers that are thrown about all over the place, but the biggest issue is the definiton... what is a speciality coffee. So in reality it is impossible to define and give a percentage of the market.
But just for argument sake, as a world market, we are probably looking at around 2%

For kenya, well it can be argued that anywhere around 20-30% of the crop can be said to be speciality. (although that is open to huge argument)
mattmills

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping