La Vega

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

La Vega

Postby Gadders » Mon May 28, 2007 10:51 am

Wow i just pulled a very interesting shot of this - there was a nice acidity there that almost encompassed the tongue (perhaps the red grapefruit?) but underneath was smooth and balanced. Thats the best i can describe it! My first reaction, and what i said outloud was "Wow!"

Any opinions?
Gadders

RE: La Vega

Postby psychomansam » Mon May 28, 2007 7:09 pm

have been struggling with it slightly, but just done another roast on a slightly different setting and hoping this will get it better - think i overroasted slightly before... Seemed a bit over-smooth and bland. we shall c... glad you're enjoying it!
Bezzera BB105, Hario slim grinder, Hario filter, swissgold filter, aeropress, cafetieres, cold brewer, stovetops, lots of teas...

...and lots of love
:-)
psychomansam

Postby CakeBoy » Tue May 29, 2007 12:01 pm

Yes indeed Gadders, we have had a couple of pre-roasted bags from the master and it is lovely stuff. A little more acidity than Manuela and than little buzzy thing in the mouth that I usually associate with nuttier coffees like Quebradon. Lovely body and mouthfeel.

Psycho, you are probably right, the roast is everything with some coffees. If this next roast doesn't hit the spot, I would recommend ordering a bag of roasted in order to compare and from which take a starting point.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Wed May 30, 2007 6:17 am

Was this the Colombian we tried at the Roastery? Hmm, wasn't utterly convinced by it in hindsight, very nice and top quality. But then it would be good to try itin an espresso. Then in all fairness it was stood next to Emse!!!!
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Wed May 30, 2007 2:31 pm

Yup, one and the same. I think you would like it as an SO espresso Mitty. As you say, the Esme was next to it and it was sat alongside the best from Colombia .... though it was far from outclassed. A decent Manuela alternative I reckon :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:40 am

Hmm, I'd forgotten about this. As cakey says, it was sitting in very illustrious company, which made it fade in comparison. I reckon it would make a good staple though and pretty polyvalent. Right got to order some now :wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping