Whats hitting the spot at present!

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Gadders » Mon May 14, 2007 5:05 pm

Matt can you remember what was in that last blend of yours before you left? Had about 20 different beans in it :P

Sounded lovely, need to try it!

Btw, what do you reckon is the darkest, earthiest, thickest blend you could legally produce?
Gadders

Postby espressomattic » Tue May 15, 2007 7:19 am

Hmmm, testing the old grey matter gadders! OK...

Kalosi
MM
Le Fany
Yirg

The quantities escape me.

I reckon a really thick blend would consist of Kalosi and MM 35/35 taken to a niice dark roast then about 30Of Chac Screen dried to give it a lift.
espressomattic

Postby Gadders » Tue May 15, 2007 10:00 am

Haha! :D you have grey matter? :P

Merci bucket, ill chuck some of those in the whirley and see what comes out!

Oooh yes, liking the sound of that, ta! :)

Bueno, pero tengo que volver a mis estudias - porque tengo un examen de Espanol a las dos y media hoy! :(
Gadders

Postby toast21 » Tue May 15, 2007 12:09 pm

breako... the local roasters in perth tended to do the PNG roasts medium but a couple were medium dark (depending on bean).

lately i've been through a few roasts of Brazilian yellow bourbon, OBJ, Yemmen mocha and columbian. So far, the yellow bourbon's my favourite SO - i may have messed up the Mocha and roasted it a little dark :oops:
In the middle of darkness a voice spoke to me. "Smile and be happy" it said, "For things could be worse". So I smiled, and was happy, and things got worse.

- Iberital L’Anna
- Mazzer SJ
- Reg barber Tamper
toast21

Postby lastcoyote » Thu May 17, 2007 11:35 am

couple of things...
first, where in uk can i order online some decent kenyan beans to try in my cona vacpot?
and second, where's the picture of the lovely hannah already!? :)
“Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear a coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me -I am happy” - Hamlin Garland

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Cona Vac Pot - Table Model "B"
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby Walter » Thu May 17, 2007 11:49 am

Gadders wrote:I tell you whats hitting the spot...

40% Cacheoira
40% Finca la fany
20% Yirrrrg

This morning i pulled the most ridiculously viscous, tight, deep brick red, centered shot i've ever had. The smell, indescribable. Hmm.

Thanks for suggesting that1 steve! :)

Phil

I like that one too, though I did 1/3 of each...
fa' zoccu hai di fari e li fatti d'àutru nun guardari....

This week I are mostly playing with my new water kettle... :)
Walter

Postby lukas » Thu May 17, 2007 3:04 pm

Hitting the spot ... My mother and I visited Bruce yesterday, and he made a really good darjeeling for her and let me on his CMA .... and he had a Yirgacheffe in his grinder ... God I know now what I missed over the last half year or so! Loooooooooovely! Thank you Bruce!
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Gadders » Thu May 17, 2007 10:51 pm

Yesterday i roasted up the Cach, Fina and Yirg i had left, this time:

50g Cach
50g Finca
100g Yirg

Pulled a shot today, i was in awe for a good 10 minutes after. Don't ask me to analyse the taste cos i can't, just awesome.
Gadders

Postby lastcoyote » Fri May 18, 2007 8:13 am

this may be a stupid question..but being a non roaster (till the urge becomes too overwhelming) i'm not in the know. so the question is....when you do a blend such as the one above, do you roast each SO bean seperately to it's own roasting profile and then 'blend them up', or do you mix your blend of beans PRE roasting and then roast them together to your desired profile?
“Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear a coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me -I am happy” - Hamlin Garland

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby GeorgeW » Fri May 18, 2007 9:34 am

lastcoyote wrote:this may be a stupid question..but being a non roaster (till the urge becomes too overwhelming) i'm not in the know. so the question is....when you do a blend such as the one above, do you roast each SO bean seperately to it's own roasting profile and then 'blend them up', or do you mix your blend of beans PRE roasting and then roast them together to your desired profile?

The short answer is both. Some beans do lend themselves to being roasted together in that they have similar roasting characteristics, while others don't.
At least that's what I've found and others also.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby lastcoyote » Fri May 18, 2007 9:54 am

i wondered if this might be the case.
thing is with pre blends is....ok you may have a 30% this 30% that 40% the other but once they are all mixed up when you go to spoon out your 16g or whatever ammount you use for espresso, your not really going to have those percentages still. you may end up with only a couple of beans of one type and loads of another.
...or am i over thinking things here? :roll:

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby Gadders » Fri May 18, 2007 10:47 am

Stop thinking :P
Gadders

Postby espressomattic » Sat May 19, 2007 8:37 pm

I guess you are right, especially with smaller amounts of the blend being roasted. But on the whole, as an average, I would say that you are getting a fairly good consistent-ish blend. I have found from experience that as Bruce says, some beans really do lend themselves being roasted together as a blend, whilst others (In my experience, Kalosi & MM) do not, simply because they have and require a longer and darker roast that would incinerate most other beans.

On the whole I have found Africans, South/Central Americans tend to roast very well together.

Oh then this brings on a question....when does a blend become a mix? :)
espressomattic

Postby Johnmac » Tue May 22, 2007 6:08 pm

espressomattic wrote: some beans really do lend themselves being roasted together as a blend, whilst others (In my experience, Kalosi & MM) do not, simply because they have and require a longer and darker roast that would incinerate most other beans.

This makes a lot of sense. I'm drinking a blend of Kalosi, Yirg and Brazil Fazienda this week and it sucks (or "sux" as you will soon be saying :) ). The Yirg and Fazienda come through but there is very little body. I think you're right - the Kalosi needs more than the others.
Izzo Vivi, Iberital MC2, I-Roast2, Whirley Popper
Johnmac

Postby Gadders » Tue May 22, 2007 11:52 pm

Oh did you roast them together John?

I think it goes without saying u can't really roast a blend together with darks and lights in there. Thinking about it from an SO point of few - each SO has its own roast zone where its really nailed. If you're designing a blend - looking for specific characteristics you want to incorporate in the overall taste, you're always compromising wacking a (eg. kalosi) and a yirg in the drum together - because at the ideal kalosi roast the yirg will be toasted, and at the idea yirg roast the kalosi might as well have factor 50 on.

Therefore it is impractical to roast every blend together. Altho if you have 3 with very similar roast requirements (like the Yirg/Cachoeira/Finca) it works a treat.

Feel free to totally dismiss whatever ive just said as rubbish steve as i am a total novice! :P
Gadders

PreviousNext

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping