Whats hitting the spot at present!

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Whats hitting the spot at present!

Postby BazBean » Wed May 02, 2007 5:49 pm

:)

As I have been having fun cupping alot of my old/current favourites through the arobie as one of the newly converted (not quite there yet but, almost ) I ask what everyone enjoying at the moment !!

The Columbia Las Vega is, I think a stunning coffee especially via press pot as my favourite at the moment.

anyone got any "must not run out of" favourites at present?
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

RE: Whats hitting the spot at present!

Postby CakeBoy » Wed May 02, 2007 6:42 pm

With you on the Vega Baz, also loving the new Cuban too (about to order another bag of each actually :P ). Have you tried the Cuban yet?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Wed May 02, 2007 10:35 pm

Yeah, I really enjoyed the Vega when I cupped it at Leighton Towers, one of those coffees I'd be happy drinking every day. The master was a little bit dismissive of it though as it was being compared to CoE, and isn't really quite as outstanding, I'll admit, but still a keeper!
Other than that, I'd not roasted in a month, so to ease myself back in gently, I did a couple of bags of Daterra. After that, I've got some Bo Selecta asking for my attention :wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby CakeBoy » Wed May 02, 2007 10:45 pm

We still have some of last year's Daterra crop. Will be interesting to see how it has aged. There is a roast degassing now, so we shall see :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Thu May 03, 2007 8:51 am

Oh just rub it in why don't you! :(

Hmmm...I was delighted to find what I actually consider to be the Best Espresso ever from a little funky outlet called Coffee Stop on the Cnr of Victoria and Manners in Wellington. The coffee is roasted down on the South island in Christchurch by Hummingbird Coffee (Ohhh can I say that, I mean it is a company...oh stop it!) and is a blend of 4 or five benas, but buggered if I can recall what they were.

It was a medium bodied roast as the owner feels that too dark a roast and you loose what makes coffee special (My kinda guy). Anyway....

The Barista was the lovely Hannah who is a cracking chick and can pull the tightest Shot ever. She was working on a 2 group Simonelli with a Mazzer Mini. What nailed was when she said 'Oh man this is just oozing out'...Now this place is only a little stall literally on a corner and is not a chain. The owner is passionate about coffee and it really shows. They also have a funky fishtank as the counter :D

When I am next there I will Post a pic of the joint and a shot of coffee :D
espressomattic

Postby toast21 » Thu May 03, 2007 9:41 am

... and one of the lovely Hannah as well? :)
In the middle of darkness a voice spoke to me. "Smile and be happy" it said, "For things could be worse". So I smiled, and was happy, and things got worse.

- Iberital L’Anna
- Mazzer SJ
- Reg barber Tamper
toast21

Postby GeorgeW » Thu May 03, 2007 10:09 am

toast21 wrote:... and one of the lovely Hannah as well? :)

From the rear perhaps? 8)
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Johnmac » Thu May 03, 2007 10:15 am

Must try the Las Vega.

I have two 'must not run out ofs' at the moment. Fazenda Cachoeira - I'm not too worried about running out of that, Steve seems to have plenty. The Colombian Huila/Antioquia CO2 Blend is the first decaf I've had that makes a genuinely good espresso - better than good actually. Instead of worrying about becoming too jittery the worry now is that my 2kg bag is going too fast - I've just noticed that its not in the HB catalogue any more. :(
Izzo Vivi, Iberital MC2, I-Roast2, Whirley Popper
Johnmac

Postby Raf » Thu May 03, 2007 2:54 pm

I'm drinking Costa Rica Blue Mountain at the moment from Corica (see Belgian coffee resources). It's roasted a bit too much to Tisri's liking (He Of The Dark Roast, Whose Darkness Of Roasts Scareth Little Children And Other Small Farm Animals :twisted:), but generally very good.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby zapty » Thu May 03, 2007 4:17 pm

I'm drinking a blend of Java Old Brown, Imperial Limu and Brazil Yellow Bourbon.
Smooth dark chocolaty, spicy blend...
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Re: RE: Whats hitting the spot at present!

Postby BazBean » Thu May 03, 2007 6:52 pm

espressomattic wrote:Oh just rub it in why don't you! :(

This has to be quote of the week .........
the ordasity of a guy who has great coffee dripping from every street corner and practicly even second shop on a street being master roasters of award winning baristas..
sure this town is not called "Stepford" or "Eastwick" ? :twisted: :twisted:
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby bruceb » Thu May 03, 2007 7:28 pm

espressomattic wrote:When I am next there I will Post a pic of the joint and a shot of coffee :D

A shot of Hannah will be fine, Breako! 8)

edit: Whoops, I didn't read the follow-ups, but I'm going to leave this anyway so you don't forget priorities.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby bruceb » Thu May 03, 2007 7:30 pm

espressomattic wrote:When I am next there I will Post a pic of the joint and a shot of coffee :D

A shot of Hannah will be fine, Breako! 8)
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Re: RE: Whats hitting the spot at present!

Postby espressomattic » Thu May 03, 2007 9:02 pm

Will do guys ;)

And yes you are right Baz...I call it Post Emmigration Irony :P
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Fri May 04, 2007 10:34 am

BazBean wrote:
espressomattic wrote:Oh just rub it in why don't you! :(

This has to be quote of the week .........
the ordasity of a guy who has great coffee dripping from every street corner and practicly even second shop on a street being master roasters of award winning baristas..
sure this town is not called "Stepford" or "Eastwick" ? :twisted: :twisted:

Maybe is is referring more literally to some sort of fetish Baz :wink: :lol:

Hey Breako, tell the lovely Hannah that she is now the TMC pin-up when you get the pic :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping