looking for some robusta

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

looking for some robusta

Postby icke » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:03 am

have been searching here for a while, but apart from heated discussion re the pros and cons i can't find any reference to a decent robusta.

does anybody know a good one and where to get it from? i looked around at hasbean, but the beans usually don't come with a type reference, so either it's all arabica or i'm missing something there...?

oh, and i've read quite a bit about how c$$p robusta is over the last hour.. ;)
Black KvdW Speedster / Arrarex Caravel / Elektra Nino / Vario / Huky 500 / and a bunch of less frequently used things...
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby Beanie » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:31 am

I suggest contacting Steve @ hasbean directly :)
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby tisri » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:22 pm

Last I checked Steve sold a Vietnamese robusta, with the clear notice on the product page that it was for blending and not recommended for drinking on its own.

Being the curious type (and for a specific personal project I won't bore you all with here) I tried some on its own, and he wasn't kidding...
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby Beanie » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:52 pm

lmao tisri. I can understand why you did not trust his word... after all he likes the light roast... you like the "approaching charcoal" roast :P
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby icke » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:18 pm

steve suggested some indian monsooned malabar as robusta to me, so i'm going to order some of that. but i can understand your curiosity and would actually be quite interested to find out how a good robusta tastes by itself too, but then, i need to roast quite an amount of it (not sure what the minimum batch size for the hottop is), so i probably won't bother...
but does robusta charcoal taste any different than arabica charcoal anyway? Image
Black KvdW Speedster / Arrarex Caravel / Elektra Nino / Vario / Huky 500 / and a bunch of less frequently used things...
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby Beanie » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:09 pm

icke wrote:s...not sure what the minimum batch size for the hottop isImage

Personally, I wouldn't roast less than 200g but really prefer it to be around 220g as a minimum threshold.
Beanie

Postby toast21 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:15 pm

Back in Australia, the local roasters (5 senses) wouldn't stock it because they said they couldnt' find a good one around :(. They do arabica and mostly ones from PNG.

On the last week i was there, they had gotten their hands on another batch and roasted it to try it out. I had a try on my second last day.. by this time 5 days after roast and I didn't like it at all.

I believe some other comments on the day were "detectable rancid taste" and "fecal matter" lol. I personally don't know what the last one tastes like but was a bit worried that HE knew :shock:
In the middle of darkness a voice spoke to me. "Smile and be happy" it said, "For things could be worse". So I smiled, and was happy, and things got worse.

- Iberital L’Anna
- Mazzer SJ
- Reg barber Tamper
toast21

Postby Steve » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:13 pm

toast21 wrote:Back in Australia, the local roasters (5 senses) wouldn't stock it because they said they couldnt' find a good one around :(. They do arabica and mostly ones from PNG.

Good Robusta (oxymoron) is a mare to find there are some, in fact the one we have we pay more for that some company pay for there arabica. But if you look you find it.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby bruceb » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:15 am

Steve wrote:Good Robusta (oxymoron) is a mare to find there are some, in fact the one we have we pay more for that some company pay for there arabica. But if you look you find it.

Hmmm, I found some this last weekend. Was really no problem at all! 8) :lol:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby tisri » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:55 am

Bean_Believer wrote:lmao tisri. I can understand why you did not trust his word... after all he likes the light roast... you like the "approaching charcoal" roast :P

Roast levels aside, I wanted to check whether someone who claimed to know about coffee really knew. I suspected he was bluffing and when he described the rather unappetising robusta as being "rich, dark, smooth, perfect for after dinner" my suspicion was confirmed.

Most people I knew who made no claim to know anything about coffee at all could tell it wasn't one of my better ones.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby icke » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:05 pm

i think i may not have to order some robusta from HB. just found some here on the local fuel station. a bright red pack of preground, vacuum packed "Pur Robusta"...
perhaps a local delicatesse...???
LMWDP #386
icke

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping