Beans - hasbean

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby lastcoyote » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:11 pm

gouezeri wrote:You'll also tend to find that beans show more oils as they age.

yep i've noticed this too...which as has already been said is why i'm guessing alot of high street beans have a rather shiney appearance...interesting..anyone have a sciencey explanation for this? :)
“Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear a coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me -I am happy” - Hamlin Garland

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Cona Vac Pot - Table Model "B"
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:23 pm

Jiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim?
Typical, never here when you want him, not like he's got anything on at the moment! :roll:
:wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby phil2spill » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:33 pm

Zimpker wrote:The beans from Whittards do look oily, but are dry to touch. They were quite expensive at £3.20 fot 125g! Won't be buying those again.

Zimpker, please tell me it was £3.20 for 250 g ?

I must admit to having preferred a Southern Italian style dark roast in the past (although that looks more like French). I lost my sense of smell for many years, and found that dark roasts gave more mouth-feel. When the sense of smell finally returned (thank-you God!) preferences quickly went north :)
Ground suitable for all coffee makers
phil2spill

Postby Zimpker » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:46 am

phil2spill wrote:Zimpker, please tell me it was £3.20 for 250 g ?

No Phol2spill that was for 125g - shocking price - day light Robery, but more fool me for buying them :oops:
Azkoyen Single group AZ04
K-3 Touch Platinum Grinder
Zimpker

Postby phil2spill » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:47 am

^ truly outrageous, and for beans that might already be 13 days post-roast . . .
Ground suitable for all coffee makers
phil2spill

Postby tisri » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:05 pm

Raf wrote:Those first beans are what we commonly describe as charcoal: I wouldn't drink them.

Unless of course, you want to be part of the seven circles of Hell of Tisri, He Of The Dark Roast, Whose Name Shall Be Spoken In Awe But Preferably Not Mentioned In Any Coffee Roasting Context At All. :twisted:

Funny, I was thinking that Steve had sent out some unroasted beans by mistake :-)

Seriously, dark roasts have their place although many people prefer lighter roasts. My personal preference for espresso is to roast significantly darker than Steve does but the fact he still has a coffee business suggests other people disagree with me (or buy greens to nuke them at home :D )

As it happens it was a general feeling that Whittards were too expensive that led me on my journey of coffee discovery and onto Hasbean's customer list.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby Raf » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:08 pm

oh boy, we summoned Him, He Of The Dark Roasts :)
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby bruceb » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:13 pm

Did I hear someone call? Image
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby lukas » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:54 pm

Long time no see Tisri, welcome back :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:14 am

Tisri .... good to see you :P . Thought I could smell smoke :wink: :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby tisri » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:12 pm

Thanks for the welcome back guys, I'm still around just don't contribute a whole lot. Too many forums to visit and not enough gaps in the smoke to see them all... would anyone believe that the roast I started when I last posted is almost finished now?

Now where's my emoticon that belches smoke when I need it?
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby leecb » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:16 pm

I often ask Steve to roast a little darker than normal, as we drink mostly flat whites these days, he is completely flexible in my experience, though I guess when you support Sunderland you get used to disappointment :wink:
When is Roy "manager of the month" Keane bringing you back to the top flight then Steve? :lol: 8)
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:26 pm

How long before your trip to the Caribbean Leigh? Will you be watching any WC cricket? :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby leecb » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:13 pm

Will you be watching any WC cricket?

We'll be there during the World Cup proper, from the 13th-26th April, but I'll be lying by the 60ft infinity pool on the cliffs above Negril, ordering cocktails and watching the sun go down 8)

Apparently they are mad for cricket over there :wink: but I prefer football :lol:
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby GeorgeW » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:13 pm

leecb wrote:
Will you be watching any WC cricket?

We'll be there during the World Cup proper, from the 13th-26th April, but I'll be lying by the 60ft infinity pool on the cliffs above Negril, ordering cocktails and watching the sun go down 8)

Apparently they are mad for cricket over there :wink: but I prefer football :lol:

They do say it will rain about then. 8)
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

PreviousNext

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping