anyone come close to an Ill-y blend?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Stale.... :-)

Postby coffee_joe » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:27 am

yes I think you're all correct, been drinking illy out in Italy, being Italian lol .... but the coffee in tins in the UK is rather stale, little crema :-( shame!

hence why I'm trying to recreate a FRESH Illy version :-)
various Gaggia TD, Gaggia MDF, Mazzer Super Jolly, Hot-top 240v
coffee_joe

Postby toast21 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:17 am

do the businesses that buy illy get the fresher supplies while the domestic users get the older beans? Or is it just the time that it takes to ship it to the UK? :?
In the middle of darkness a voice spoke to me. "Smile and be happy" it said, "For things could be worse". So I smiled, and was happy, and things got worse.

- Iberital L’Anna
- Mazzer SJ
- Reg barber Tamper
toast21

Re: Stale.... :-)

Postby Steve » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:02 am

coffee_joe wrote:yes I think you're all correct, been drinking illy out in Italy, being Italian lol .... but the coffee in tins in the UK is rather stale, little crema :-( shame!

hence why I'm trying to recreate a FRESH Illy version :-)

But Joe what do you like about it. What ios it that makes you want to re create it then you can build a unique blend to bring the atributres.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby bruceb » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:24 am

It always tastes like dusty cardboard to me...even in Italy.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby scottwhite » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:33 pm

Illy coffee stand in Barcelona airport (main drag) serves excellent coffee.
Iberital L'anna Hand fill x 2
Iberital MC2 with Doser
Macap EPS Tamper
Macap MXA x 2
Macap M9A currently in kit format
Shake and Vac
Large box of spanners
scottwhite

Postby bruceb » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:25 am

scottwhite wrote:Illy coffee stand in Barcelona airport (main drag) serves excellent coffee.

I wonder what kind of coffee they use. 8)
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby chemistone » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:04 pm

Apparently bruce is not a Illy fan. It is not the best coffee. One of my best friends came for a cup of coffee on her motor. She saw the Illy cups on top of my machine and pointed at one. I want a espresso from a real cup. When I was just starting making espresso I bought two cups, it was the only heavy cup that I could find in that period.

Many people associate Illy with real espresso. It is not that bad, just like starbucks, it makes people interested in coffee, which is a good thing. IMHO Illy is not the certainly not the worst of the big brands.

Back on topic, I don't know the mixture.
As a final touch God created the Dutch

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Postby Steve » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:46 am

chemistone wrote:<snip> IMHO Illy is not the certainly not the worst of the big brands.

And Certainly not the cheapest, on average double the price per kilo for wholesale than anything else good I've seen.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby lukas » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:26 am

If it's expensive, it must be good, eh?
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby ivdp » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:59 am

Although it has been said before: roasted beans stay fresh for about 1 week.
You can't expect Illy to deliver fresh beans to their customers. Logistics just prevent this.
So lower your hopes to find "fresh" Illy.
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby Sunnyfield » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:06 am

All jokes set aside about the stale Illy blend, I know what the OP refers to. Even stale Illy has a distinct Illy flavour that appeals to me. Having said that, last time I had a home-brewed Illy is probably 5 years ago.

Unfortunately I have never tasted a fresh Illy and I have no idea how to recreate it either.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby bruceb » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:58 am

OK, no more jokes then. I actually have had fresh Illy. It was in castle Miramar in Trieste, however it was very long ago. I have no idea anymore what it tasted like. All the rest of the Illy coffee I have had has been stale and the flavour was that of stale coffee, somewhat reminiscent of the taste of stale Lavazza (I have never tasted fresh Lavazza either). If anyone gets to Trieste, the home of Illy, they should try the coffee there...and visit Miramar (which was restored under the direction of my great-grandfather over 100 years ago).

I do know this, however: The main bean is Brazilian. There is always some Indian Mysore and/or MM in it. I am guessing that it is this component that gives Illy its characteristic flavour, whatever that is. There are also usually some central American coffees in it as well.

Illy invented the use of inert gas storage (evacuating the cans and replacing the air with nitrogen and/argon). They insist that this keeps the beans fresh for 24 months and that the beans undergo an "aging process" like red wine...so that perhaps it is this "aging" that gives Illy its particular flavour.

Illy offers their espresso blend as "medium roast" and "dark roast." I don't think I've ever tasted the dark roast. If I see some I may buy a can just to try. I will report back here if I live through it. (ohhhh, forgot about not joking) :oops: :twisted:
bruceb

Postby scottwhite » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:34 pm

ivdp wrote:Although it has been said before: roasted beans stay fresh for about 1 week.
You can't expect Illy to deliver fresh beans to their customers. Logistics just prevent this.
So lower your hopes to find "fresh" Illy.

roasted beans stay fresh in a one way valve bag for 6 months before they go downhill,if stored in a cool dry place, that's a fact.
Iberital L'anna Hand fill x 2
Iberital MC2 with Doser
Macap EPS Tamper
Macap MXA x 2
Macap M9A currently in kit format
Shake and Vac
Large box of spanners
scottwhite

Postby Steve » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:43 pm

Not sure if your trying to wind me up or not Scott, so I'm going to sit in the corner and nod :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby lukas » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:44 pm

Ah well, this discussion again! Every now and then I change camps ;), but when I open a bag that I know is 2-3 months old and the coffee that I make out of it is as good as I remember it to be from another bag I had 2-3 months ago - well, then I'm thinking about the possibility of coffee that was kept fresh in a valve bag for 2-3 months. It also seems to go downhill quite fast after opening, but that's not what we're talking about here, ain't it?
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

PreviousNext

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping