jamaica blue mountain

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

jamaica blue mountain

Postby huub » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:51 pm

Having gotten the hang of my lovely new machine, I've decided to be wild and order some jamaica blue mountain (E35,- for 250 gram) from the golden coffee box.. I'm curious!
Ever tried it?
excellent, smithers...

Isomac Itala, waterfilter, some shiny grinder that works pretty well, but has no brand I think.
huub

Postby Slimboyfat » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:55 pm

I haven't, but I'd like to. Does it work well as espresso?

...never knowingly underfed

expobar pulser, quickmill 031, Reg Barber Radical Pro US curve, Koenigbot, aerobie, armour plated welded 1910 hybrid german whirley, several french presses, antique nepolitana, an old stovetop, Zassenhaus that smells of pepper and a hoover attachment colander/cooler thing
Slimboyfat

Postby huub » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:00 pm

Think so, At the lovely Tazza d'oro in Rome they make espresso out of it, so can't be a bad idea I suppose.. I only had a normal espresso there though..(they have the option normal or blue mountain) Wich was yuuuuuummy....
excellent, smithers...

Isomac Itala, waterfilter, some shiny grinder that works pretty well, but has no brand I think.
huub

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:30 pm

Proper JBM is nicely balanced, very good quality coffee. Whether it is overpriced for the quality is debatable. It has a reputation that it lives well on, but it will make fab espresso :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GeorgeW » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:40 pm

That's interesting as I had thought it was a bit too acid to be good for espresso.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby lukas » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:07 pm

It will? I never tried, but I heard that it's flat as espresso ... anyway, I found JBM to be a very well balanced, good quality, nice tasting but totally boring coffee :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby leecb » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:20 pm

I'm going to Negril in Jamaica in a few weeks for a holiday, so I'll let you all know what the real thing is like :D :wink:
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby jumper » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:21 pm

its exceptionelly full in flavour, but maybe indeed a bit too boring for the money that it costs
moccatronic eleganza 2gr
ecm botticelli 2
mazzer mini
fiorenzato t80
jumper

Postby huub » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:10 pm

I shall bore you with my opinion as soon as the stuff arrives! :)
excellent, smithers...

huub

Postby RobC » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:24 pm

Personally it does nothing for me, and the price is based on the name and not the quality. Some of the greatest tasting coffee's I have had were very economicaly priced. I also find coffee taste very subjectmental, most of my favourites are disliked by my peers.
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby jumper » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:37 pm

Personally it does nothing for me

most of my favourites are disliked by my peers.

sorry had to connect those:P

i dont think you can really dispute the quality though, the same goes for AA branded coffee wether you like it or not the quality is good
moccatronic eleganza 2gr
ecm botticelli 2
mazzer mini
fiorenzato t80
jumper

Postby tisri » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:12 am

I'm rather fond of Blue Mountain although do think it's overpriced and overrated. Don't get me wrong, it's very good - full, smooth and well-rounded - but IMO not as much so as you'd expect given the price.

It does work reasonable well as espresso although it's not something I'd do myself. I drink it in a filter or cafetiere, although not hugely frequently given the price of it.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby Steve » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:52 pm

jumper wrote:
Personally it does nothing for me

most of my favourites are disliked by my peers.

sorry had to connect those:P

i dont think you can really dispute the quality though, the same goes for AA branded coffee wether you like it or not the quality is good

The grade or the name of the coffee means nothing when it comes to quality, its all in the cup. Some of the ugliest coffee I’ve ever seen has been the best, but no way would it pass as any normal grade.

I'm with you Rob, JBM is something to try and then learn about coffee afterwards. I always shudder when someone mentions it to try and impress me, normally means they don’t know what there on about.

JBM can vary from estate to estate and roaster to roaster wildly.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby huub » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:40 pm

kay.. just made my first cup.. nice, lots of crema, nice taste, but indeed a bit too lemonny for my taste.. D'oh!
Any tips on how to brew less acidic coffee? (pour was already very slow, almost dripping, can't make it pour slower really)

cheeeeers

huub
excellent, smithers...

huub

Postby huub » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:01 pm

D'oh!... Really not my cup of tea these beans... Not sour as in too low temperature, but very lemonny and flowery.. Really not what I look for in espresso, I go for the caramel and chocolate really.. Oh, well.. just wanted to try 'em, only bought 200 grams, see if i can use 'em in a blend or something..
Nice and long aftertaste though...
excellent, smithers...

huub

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping