Describing tastes

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Describing tastes

Postby Sarion » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:29 pm

Hi guys,

Just noticed this image on Sweet Marias:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/tastewheel2.jpg

Perhaps this can help us to describe our sensations...
tell me I`m mad
you're a fine one to decide

Izzo Alex Duetto iii, Mazzer Mini E mod A, Gene Cafe, Grindenstein
Sarion

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 pm

BeanyBoots sent me a copy of this a while back, she picked it up at the SCAA thingy in Seattle a while back. It's laminated now. Quite useful :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:17 pm

Ahhh, this reminds me of something. Some of you may remember that we had a discussion about an example of something that is bitter this last summer. I asked 20 people here in my village and at work and got answers like olives, beer, quinine, burnt sugar and so on, but of the 20, 18 said coffee. I know that one of the two who didn't say coffee doesn't drink any either. :wink:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GeorgeW » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:22 pm

bruceb wrote:Ahhh, this reminds me of something. Some of you may remember that we had a discussion about an example of something that is bitter this last summer. I asked 20 people here in my village and at work and got answers like olives, beer, quinine, burnt sugar and so on, but of the 20, 18 said coffee. I know that one of the two who didn't say coffee doesn't drink any either. :wink:

BLOODY HELL Bruce. :shock: :shock:
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Walter » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:58 pm

bruceb wrote:... but of the 20, 18 said coffee. I know that one of the two who didn't say coffee doesn't drink any either. :wink:

When most people are conditioned to take their tea or coffee with at least 2 spoonful of sugar, it doesn't make me wonder that they consider coffee to be bitter...
fa' zoccu hai di fari e li fatti d'àutru nun guardari....

This week I are mostly playing with my new water kettle... :)
Walter

Postby Aadje » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:06 pm

sugar in coffee is evil . . .
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby Walter » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:03 am

Aadje wrote:sugar in coffee is evil . . .

Well, I wouldn't mind that, but what irks me is, that it destroys the natural sweetness of the coffee... ;)
fa' zoccu hai di fari e li fatti d'àutru nun guardari....

This week I are mostly playing with my new water kettle... :)
Walter

Postby GeorgeW » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:35 am

Aadje wrote:sugar in coffee is evil . . .

This hard for me..but here goes. I'm..I'm..I'm an addict. It's true..I use sugar in my coffee. There..I've said it. :oops:
I never had a chance being a War baby when there was no sugar at all to be had, so when it did eventually come along I quickly became hooked.
It's so humiliating but I feel better now that it's out in the open...sort of liberated. 8)
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby bruceb » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:52 pm

So George! Then there's no doubt about the Sicily thing...but you knew about my coffee preference anyway. I drink a cappuccino without any sugar if I'm eating something sweet with it, I drink espresso without only when I am doing a tasting and I don't really like it. I honestly have never tasted an espresso that I could call "sweet" without sugar. I have tried, but I love espresso with a bit of sugar, so why should I punish myself? :roll:

I'd get my coat, but I left it in the car. 8)
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby toast21 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:17 pm

bruceb wrote:Ahhh, this reminds me of something. Some of you may remember that we had a discussion about an example of something that is bitter this last summer. I asked 20 people here in my village and at work and got answers like olives, beer, quinine, burnt sugar and so on, but of the 20, 18 said coffee. I know that one of the two who didn't say coffee doesn't drink any either. :wink:

Lol when i did the tasting class back in perth, people were soming up with "tastes like an old musty closet" and "i'm tasting chicken nuggets" :) heh heh.... quite interesting actually...
In the middle of darkness a voice spoke to me. "Smile and be happy" it said, "For things could be worse". So I smiled, and was happy, and things got worse.

- Iberital L’Anna
- Mazzer SJ
- Reg barber Tamper
toast21

Postby Aadje » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:23 pm

bruceb wrote:I'd get my coat, but I left it in the car. 8)

Too bad ;) :lol: :lol:
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping