quality of roasting and beans

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

quality of roasting and beans

Postby coffee » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:43 pm

can anyone comment these beans please? I want to learn and see if it is possible to judge beans and or roasting quallity by the eye.
gr,
Attachments
beans.jpg
beans.jpg (62.67 KiB) Viewed 5373 times
coffee

Postby Steve » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:52 pm

Not so much a comment of the roast but there are brokens and some very different screen sizes there and even a peaberry is it a blend?

Only judge the coffee in the cup I've had some awful looking beans that were awesome
Steve
Founder Member

Postby coffee » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:39 pm

yes, its a blend, about 8 or 9 beans, I will find out wath kind of soon
Rancilio S26, two grinders, love latte art
www.latteart.be
coffee

Postby toast21 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:00 pm

lol yeah the first thing i noticed is that there's quite a few different beans in there.... let us knwo how it tastes! :)

On an aside, i tried to roast some beans out on my balcony on sunday... it was way too windy outside and even having my flame on high, nothing going for about 15 minutes. In the end i just took it into my kitchen and roasted them there. Only took about 4 more minutes once inside and i think i took them off a little too quickly.

I tried them this morning and they were very bright, but not much body, and the flavour didn't last long. They tasted fairly ok in a flat white though...
In the middle of darkness a voice spoke to me. "Smile and be happy" it said, "For things could be worse". So I smiled, and was happy, and things got worse.

- Iberital L’Anna
- Mazzer SJ
- Reg barber Tamper
toast21

Postby coffee » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:17 pm

right, I would say that there is mainly an accidity in the taste and although creating a nice crema, it doesn't laste long and the same for the taste, good flavour, bit accid but gone in two minuts :?: same here do, good taste in cappa's or flat white
Rancilio S26, two grinders, love latte art
www.latteart.be
coffee

Postby zix » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:42 pm

I agree. Broken or cracked beans are often dry-processed to begin with. If it is a blend, it is impossible to say which ones are perfectly roasted and which ones have too much or too little.
The spots of oil showing on the surface is a good sign, I think (if you like roasts to be on the darkish side). On my screen, if it shows the same colours as you see in your image (and the image shows what you see in reality... oh dear oh dear) I think I see a reddish-brown tone still present in the beans, and none of them look burnt.
Is this a drum roast, a popper roast or what?
Edit: if you still have some left, the body will get better tomorrow and the day after that. For espresso.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Steve » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:55 pm

coffee wrote:yes, its a blend, about 8 or 9 beans, I will find out wath kind of soon

8 or 9 !!! WOW thats blending overdrive :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Aadje » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:41 pm

hopefully all SO's and not 8 different robusta's :twisted: ;)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby Gadders » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:23 pm

flliiiipin eck! :P 8 or 9 that is hardcore! :P
Gadders

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping