Best post blend ever!

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Best post blend ever!

Postby monkey66 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:32 am

As some of you know i cannot home roast (will have to wait until we move for that one) so I postblend running a programme of try everything from steve and see if I can get what i want......Well I now have my most fave blend ever.

it is quite simple:
50% Brazil Inglaterra Special Fazenda Toca da Onca
50% Cup of Excellence Espresso Blend (Brazil Boa Sorte, El Salvador, Bolivian)

The result is stunning, the ground coffee smells like good chocolate, the pour is great and long, medium dark crema that has a silky mouth feel. The espresso is very sweet, medium brightness (perfect balance to the sweet) and when you add milk it tasts like chocolate.

I'm going to make one right now.....if you wanna try just order the 2 bags and mix.

Steve please clone this blend because when the ingredients run out my world will be over :-(
Bezzera BZ99S with CAL PID
Mazzer Super Red
Large toolbox
monkey66

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:40 pm

Sounds delicious Monkey ..... will try it asap :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby meurig » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:30 pm

Sounds fab! Monkey you read my mind, Was going to ask for suggestions for chocalatey blends...

Really loving Steve's Brazilian Perfieto blend at the mo, but I know what my next purchase will be!
Pavoni Europiccola
Isomac Gran Macinno
Reg tamper (soon)
meurig

Postby gabriel » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:50 pm

I've just tried this combination, and have to agree it's very nice indeed.
gabriel

Postby meurig » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:58 pm

I'll second that!
Though I love the CoE & the Inglaterra on their own too!
Will have to do more tasting over the next few days

Just about to make a french press with The mix now - I'm at the office so no espresso :(
Pavoni Europiccola
Isomac Gran Macinno
Reg tamper (soon)
meurig

Postby monkey66 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:36 pm

i am now on my 4th batch. Can't give you the science but it seems to be better when I mix them when they are fresh and leave them to degsss together (in an airtight container).

Steve....a long shot I know but would you fancy creating this blend preroast and roasting them together, perhaps it will be better still?
Mazzer Super Red
Large toolbox
monkey66

Postby toast21 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:04 pm

well ok i've taken the plunge and got myself 2kgs of each and will try roasting them up when i get them... (call it a belated valentines present heh heh).

Once quick question... will they roast fine together since they are different beans or will one get darker faster than the other? If they do roast at different times, then should i roast them separate and then throw them together afterwards?
In the middle of darkness a voice spoke to me. "Smile and be happy" it said, "For things could be worse". So I smiled, and was happy, and things got worse.

- Iberital L’Anna
- Mazzer SJ
- Reg barber Tamper
toast21

Postby monkey66 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:41 pm

No idea. i have only bought them pre-roasted.
Mazzer Super Red
Large toolbox
monkey66

Postby Steve » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:54 pm

monkey66 wrote:i am now on my 4th batch. Can't give you the science but it seems to be better when I mix them when they are fresh and leave them to degsss together (in an airtight container).

Steve....a long shot I know but would you fancy creating this blend preroast and roasting them together, perhaps it will be better still?

We'll talk :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby toast21 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:54 pm

hey monkey, just got my CoE espresso blend and the Brazil Inglaterra Special Fazenda Toca da Onca from HB. I've measured out 250gm of each, mixed them together and roasted them. Took them to about medium roast and they look great, can't wait to try it! Should reach peak around the weekend.. woohoo :)
In the middle of darkness a voice spoke to me. "Smile and be happy" it said, "For things could be worse". So I smiled, and was happy, and things got worse.

- Iberital L’Anna
- Mazzer SJ
- Reg barber Tamper
toast21

Postby GeorgeW » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:10 pm

toast21 wrote:hey monkey, just got my CoE espresso blend and the Brazil Inglaterra Special Fazenda Toca da Onca from HB. I've measured out 250gm of each, mixed them together and roasted them. Took them to about medium roast and they look great, can't wait to try it! Should reach peak around the weekend.. woohoo :)

You poor fool. This is never going to work. 8)
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby toast21 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:12 pm

GeorgeW wrote:You poor fool. This is never going to work. 8)

You mean it lasting till the weekend? :). Well i've got about 100gms of Monmouth espresso blend to get through first, so that'll prolly last me tomorrow... :)

- Iberital L’Anna
- Mazzer SJ
- Reg barber Tamper
toast21

Postby monkey66 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:21 am

Excellent... can't wait to hear. when I post blend this it does take 3-4 days from roast for the sweetness to come out (can be too bright before then).
Mazzer Super Red
Large toolbox
monkey66

Postby toast21 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:02 am

ok we've hit dangerous waters... just finished the monmouth blend this morning (pretty ho hum actually). I guess i might have to dig into this blend tomorrow... hmm that's almost 2 days post blend. Well, i guess its all in the name of science :)

By the way george.. you might be right about it not lasting till the weekend :twisted:

- Iberital L’Anna
- Mazzer SJ
- Reg barber Tamper
toast21

Postby toast21 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:54 am

Ok so its day 2 of blend-watch :). Actually its only been about a day and a half since i roasted the blend. Had to take the plunge and give it a shot. I pulled a flat white and BAM... VERY VERY bright.. unbelievably so, behind that though, i could taste a slight bit of green (maybe i didn't roast it enough - but i didnt want to risk burning it).

I then left it for a bit, adjusted the grind a bit coarser and pulled a second shot. This too was very bright, however when i took another sip of my first one, it had mellowed out and the green taste had dissapeared. No overpowering tastes, no huge chocolatey tones though. Hmmmm interesting.

I can't wait for another couple of days, where hopefully the flavours will develop! Might have to do another roast on the weekend to give myself enough to drink. This time i might try roasting 250gms of CoE separately, then make another 500gm blend and compare them side by side...

- Iberital L’Anna
- Mazzer SJ
- Reg barber Tamper
toast21

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping