How to identify a bean for a purpose

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

How to identify a bean for a purpose

Postby wvb » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:07 pm

well aiming to be n00b-off soon I got myself another question..

say I'm looking for beans for a good espresso, how can I identify them?
Can it be seen, does it have something to do with it's origins..

I only bought 2 packs of fresh beans so far from 2 different roasters
the first was good, the second seems to keep on tasting sourish

how does one shop for a good bean.
wvb

Postby bruceb » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:25 pm

Well, you'll probably get a lot of answers here, so I won't worry about giving you misinformation. You'll have to select the proper answers for yourself. :wink:

Which is also true of the beans you use for espresso. It's basically up to you. I remember being irritated by that answer when I asked the question on a.c. the first time about 6 or 7 years ago. But it's true. You can make espresso out of any bean that you can grind. All that really matters is that you like the taste.

You can us SOs (single origins, ie. not blended) or blends. You can buy blends or blend yourself just by mixing various beans that you have bought. Some blends are based on Brazilian beans. Some on Columbian. You can then add Central-American beans, Ethiopian, Indonesian or others to that base or you can begin with a different base.

The one exception is Kenyan. Many people seem to believe that Kenyan beans are not suitable for espresso. I have not verified that personally.:?

Italian blends almost always contain 10-20% Robusta to add an earthy character and more caffeine.

Most people (well, me anyway) prefer a somewhat darker roast for espresso (full city or darker).

None of these recommendations are legally binding. You can use whatever tastes good to you. If you like a lightly roasted Kenyan then enjoy it and don't worry about it. The whole trick is to try different beans and find out which ones you really like.

Another attitude one can have is to try to verify that beans others say are good in espresso really do taste good. Just like trying to verify that white wines usually taste better with fish than red wines. If you try and say, "Whoa! That really doesn't taste good" then you are all the richer for it.
If, on the other hand, you come to the conclusion that you still prefer something that others say they don't like, who cares? It's you drinking it. :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby zix » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:27 pm

Taste them.
If it says "espresso" or "bar" on the bag you may suspect that it is made for espresso.
Also, when looking at roasts, many espresso beans are roasted to around second crack, just after or slightly before it. A common, but not axiomatic appearance is a slight silky sheen on the surface from oils that usually start appearing at this roast level. Lighter roasts, more suitable for other extraction methods, are often sour when extracted in an espresso machine.
If you are buying single origins, a good Brazil is often a good choice and is often used as a base in espresso blends.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby RobC » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:34 pm

I can only emphasise the above, I often get asked which is the best coffee for espresso, which has the best taste. For some people the idea of taste is quickly bypassed - they decide the most expensive must be the best. The answer I have to give them is often not to their liking, but it would be a disservice to this forum to give any other. I have favourite blends, and so do people I know. That does not make them good or the best, just what personal preference allows. I find for all coffee (the choice is wide) there is no one blend or origin that will suit all - the variety of tastes and flavours available always mean the nectar of one is the sink water of another. The only real decider is taste, by trying a variety of origins and blends you will find you preference. This process will be more rewarding if you can roast your own origins or blends, or find a local microroaster that will be able to sell you small batches of freshly roasted beans.
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:41 am

I got confused too as a newbie wvb. So many firms advertise their coffee blends as "espresso beans", I thought that it was a type of bean rather than the type of brewing method that it is. As people have said, there are single origin beans and blends and any can be used in espresso .... but not all are ideally suited for the purpose :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby wvb » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:48 am

I don't even have a decent espresso machine yet and now you got me thinking of roasting :)

so almost any bean will do, it just depends on the roast?
could it be that the beans I have now (sourish ones) are roasted to light and if they were roasted a bit darker they would be less sour in an espresso?

thanks for the info already
Expobar Brewtus II
Mazzer Mini E Type A
wvb

Postby wvb » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:50 am

also, the two roasters I've been to only sell packs of 500gr which last approx 2 weeks so can't really experiment at the same time
Expobar Brewtus II
Mazzer Mini E Type A
wvb

Postby GeorgeW » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:28 am

wvb wrote:I don't even have a decent espresso machine yet and now you got me thinking of roasting :)

so almost any bean will do, it just depends on the roast?
could it be that the beans I have now (sourish ones) are roasted to light and if they were roasted a bit darker they would be less sour in an espresso?

thanks for the info already

That might be the case, but do keep in mind that for making espresso you need fresh beans, and this means that those bought in a supermarket are not going to cut it.
The difference in taste between the same beans when roasted just for another 10-20 secs can be startling.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby wvb » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:26 pm

GeorgeW wrote:fresh beans

I bought these beans at the roaster the same day were roasted
when I tasted them that evening they were pretty sour
a few days later it was better but the sourish is still present

GeorgeW wrote:The difference in taste between the same beans when roasted just for another 10-20 secs can be startling.

wow, didn't know it roasting had to be that exact..
good to know
wvb

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping