Beans you do not live without

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Beans you do not live without

Postby Terje » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:44 am

In my house, as well as in my mother's, there is always about one kilo of Yirgacheffe and one kilo of Sulawesi. When it gets below that level I get really nervous and go out and buy a few kilos of each.

Other kinds I may run out of from time to time but these two... nope, ain't never gonna happen!
Different beans and a frying pan, Zassenhaus grinder and a couple of moka pots...
Terje

Postby Beanie » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:59 am

Absolute must haves:
Ethiopian Harrar
Brazil Cachoeira (at least one of the many versions)
El Salvador Finca La Fany

Others I really really like, but can manage not having it in stock for a couple weeks:
Colombia La Manuela
Brazil Daterra Sweet Yellow
Yemen Mokha
Zambia Zambica

I wish I could have:
Bolivia Organic (sadly, ran out ages ago but not restocked :()
Indonesia Sulotco Bolokan Estate (been rationing this one as I haven't found where to order another batch :()

I'm not normally a fan of OBJ...but it goes extremely well in a blend with the Yemen Mokha :)

Brew nethod is mostly espresso... but occasionally, in the Eva Solo or Aeropress and then I really would miss the COE's :)

**addition**
If I could have the Brazil BOA Sorte again, that would be an absolute must-have... but as a COE winner... I dunno :( Although, COE winner or not, I'd love to have that as 'std' stock :D *nudge*nudges* Steve ;) ;)
Last edited by Beanie on Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby HughF » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:21 am

Daterra Reserve has been my only blend for espresso for nearly 2 years. Favourites for brewing are Australian Mountain Top (**not** Skyberry) and now Nepal but I vary coffees for brewing (mostly in a cafetiere) a lot.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby Beanie » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:40 am

I think I'm enjoying (too much? ;)) making my own blends and have been neglecting any pre-blends I still have :( I think, going forward, I won't be stocking many pre-blends any more.

I do like the Daterra Reserve though :D The AMT is superb but the higher price makes it a luxurious gift every not-as-often-as-I'd-like ;)
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby HughF » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:51 am

Sweet Marias (USA) did a cheaper ($10/lb + $3/lb shipping as part of a 23lb order) but "specially selected" AMT a couple of months ago; I bought 5lbs but I just checked and they are out now. I haven't roasted it yet so I don't know how it compares with the current HB supplies.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby Beanie » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:58 am

Looking forward to hearing about your experience with the SM-AMT, Hugh :) The HB version last year I remember (and can still vividly recall that 1st cup ;)) was very juicy... something watermelony about it... and clean? It was soft and light which made it seem delicate kinda? Had it as an espresso on a hot summer day and thought it was refreshing :) Believe I roasted it to end of 1C but before 2C started.... or if it did start, just a few pops as it dropped on the cooling tray. Also loved it in the Eva Solo... didn't have Aeropress at the time. Am very curious how it would be in a vac pot.
Beanie

Postby HughF » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:07 am

Had 250g of HB AMT a couple of weeks back, just after end of first crack probably, very nice as usual; it's still in stock. I didn't try it in the eSantos, just my cafetiere at work. All I gave it to liked it - I always make one mug for a colleague when I want a mug of coffee myself. (The company buys HB ready-roasted which I choose, so far my choices have gone down well overall though I've stopped buying darker roasts as these weren't being drunk soon enough to stay fresh.)

Cheers,

Hugh
HughF

Postby Bertie_Doe » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:29 am

Terje wrote
Other kinds I may run out of from time to time but these two... nope, ain't never gonna happen

My two stock varieties are Indian Monsooned Malabar and Ethiopian Haraar. Every now and then I'll wander off and try a Central American or play with blends, but I always end up slinking back to MM and Haraar, feeling very guilty and treacherous.
Quentin
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby GeorgeW » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:03 am

I've drank OBJ for nearly forty years I'm somewhat attached to it and it is still one of my mainstays.
That said, Daterra Reserve plays a bigger and bigger part these days as does MM and I tend to blend these three for espresso and Moka use.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping