Zambia Zambica AA, my findings

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Zambia Zambica AA, my findings

Postby Aadje » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:55 am

So I got a batch of Zambia Zambica, fresh roasted by Ivdp and I'm now searching for the optimum taste. So I can't really tell yet how tastes exactly.

This are my findings: with my PID on 108, the taste seems a bit flat, so I reduced it to 106; havent tried it yet though.

I changed my dist and tamp a bit, paying extra attention to tamp the whole edge round with the smaller tamper to create a nice seal. And it works, it gives me beautifull extractions (just like some pics posted here) and no channeling whatsoever, although the blonding *seems* to kick in at 20 secs. But I never really paid attention to the whole blonding thing, but around 20 secs the whole stream of coffee turns blond in about 2-3 secs. I presume this is what y'all mean by blonding. I think the solution is to grind some coarser, so the blonding kicks in later.

I'll keep you updated.

edit1: at 106, the coffee definitly has more body and kick, though in comparison to the kalossi a very smooth drink. Bit earthy, bit acid, no sour, some raisin and long aftertaste. Very balanced.
Still figuring out the best grind . . .

edit2: I somehow get less crema than with the kalossi, only about half as much . . . any ideas?
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby Beanie » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:32 pm

What roast level is the Zambica taken to, Aadje/Ivo?

Out of my lighter roast, end of 1C, I get a "lighter" seemingly more delicate flavour. Milky chocolatey with hints or citrus more like mandarines than lemony :) Out of my dark roast, about 10-15 seconds into the start of 2C, I get caramel heaven and a less milky choc but not dark choc... the florally-citrus thingy is gone. The body is heavier and seems to have a little more staying power cause of the way it seems to hug my tongue :lol: I really really like combining the 2 roast levels into a blend :)

I have no idea what my temps are like but my brew pressure is just under 9 :) Oh.. try a finer grind or updose slightly for the early blonding, Aadje. My pours are usually not faster than 23sec as a std. I think with Zambica I'm in the 26-28 secs range.

I don't remember how much/little crema I get from Zambica but I don't recall thinking that it didn't have much.

Hope this helps :)
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby HughF » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:54 pm

Aadje : IIRC, dry-processed beans give more crema than wet-processed beans - the Zambica might be wet-processed and the Kalossi dry-processed but that's a guess.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby Beanie » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:44 pm

:) Hugh... Zambica is washed :) I don't recall a big crema difference btwn that and say the dry-processed Harrar though :?

Hmmm perhaps I should roast up Zambica this wknd :) Aadje, when I do, I'll let you know and send some :D
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Aadje » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:07 pm

They look light roasted, but I'm not the most experienced one on roasting . . . maybe Ivo can enlighten us?

I'll do some finer grinding tomorrow . . . but whith finer grinds, doesnt blonding kick in earlier, in stead of later?
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby ivdp » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:14 pm

Roasting colour - medium I'd say, start of 2nd crack.

If you are happy with your grind in general Aadje, leave the fineness unchanged but try using a bit more coffee.
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby Aadje » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:39 pm

Here we go again . . . the bulky showerscreenscrew issue . . . I hate that screw . . . I really would like a nice E61 machine where the showerscreen just slides in place.

time for QC's tactic: split dosing
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:09 am

LMAO Aadje. You'll probably find an HX for €20 with your history of the €10 Audrey! :wink: :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Aadje » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:45 am

Okay screw the screw . . . split dosing is way too much hassle for me. I updosed a bit and looked what happened: blonding kicked in later, I had a nice 27 sec shot with a darker crema, although not significantly more. The taste was great and the aftertaste even better and it felt much gloopier. And no channeling, my take-extra-edge-care-technique seems to work :)

edit: come to think of it, it was probably the best Zambica shot I pulled so far.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby Beanie » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:09 pm

Sounds fab, Aadje :D A slight updose OR finer grind tends to easily overcome any early blonding pour issues for me as well :) BTW... pics! pics! I want pics :P
Beanie

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:24 pm

Yeah, nicely done Aadje. You are getting great results from the Audrey - we need more pics mate :D

Whilst on the subject of pictures Beany, how about you post that one of your rosetta from your laptop. It's a lovely piece of latte art :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Beanie » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:29 pm

From about a year ago, FruitCake? I thought I did... anyway, haven't really improved on the art fron :? :(
Beanie

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:43 pm

Yup, that's the one :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Aadje » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:29 pm

a couple of shots later and the pressure of my machine a bit lower:

the zambica lacks the kick which is present with the kalossi, but is very balanced, sweet, chocolaty and creamy. As a result you can drink more of it in a day :D

I kinda miss the heavy body of the kalossi, but I also really like the smoothness of the zambica.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby Beanie » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:30 am

Aadje wrote:I kinda miss the heavy body of the kalossi, but I also really like the smoothness of the zambica.

Sounds like a blend in the making for you, Aadje ;)

Oh I forgot to mention... Zambica really starts picking up around day 6-7. I've only had it til day 10 (but I think I could still be happy up to day 12-14) :)
Beanie

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping