Best "every day" pre-roasted espresso?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Best "every day" pre-roasted espresso?

Postby RufusA » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:18 am

Unlike some of the longer toothed members of this forum I've not started roasting yet, and will probably need to stake out an area of worksurface first, perhaps expanding coffee-land across the trechorous hob to the coasts of toaster and fridge.

Until that day I'm in need of a pre-roasted coffee bean to feed my grinder that will provide consistent results, be pleasant to drink and not break the bank.

I've to date started exploring Steve's range and have to date only slurped:

Has Bean Espresso Blend (ref ESP1)
and
Indian Monsoon Malabar (ref MOO1)

The first being my very first proper freshly roasted espresso and a joy. The Monsoon I really enjoyed, and on returning to the ESP1 I feel it isn't exciting me quite so much (like returning to a Speyside after gourging on Islay).

What would the trusted members of TMC recommend as an excellent every day espresso?

Rufus.
RufusA

Postby Aadje » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:18 am

slightly off topic: I like Islays :D even been there. Beautifull island :)
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby bruceb » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:22 am

Don't they just grow Robusta on Islay? :roll: :wink:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Aadje » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:25 am

no . . . lotsa barley and peat, a good combination.

And if you ever go there be sure to visit the Ardview Inn in Port Ellen and have yourself a nice dram.
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby bruceb » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:29 am

Aadje wrote:no . . . lotsa barley and peat, a good combination.

Hmmm, does HB have any of this? What program do I use in my HT when roasting it?
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Aadje » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:38 am

might be possible, put some peat along with some barley in your hottop and wait :), then smash the barley soak it in water and distill the whole lot . . .
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

Aadje

Postby bogner » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:02 pm

back on topic ..

I really enjoy Steves El Salvador "La Selecta" Blend - great fruity coffee, but also his COE espresso blend is really really nice - my favourite at the moment :) don't know if these will 'break the bank' but they are definetly worth a try ..
you may think you can fly, but you better not try ...

IZZO VIVI | MACAP MC4 | ZASSENHAUS 156 | MOCCAMASTER | SWISSGOLD | BEANS & CUPS & STUFF
never underestimate the importance of a good grinder!!!
bogner

Postby Gouezeri » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:16 pm

bruceb wrote:
Aadje wrote:no . . . lotsa barley and peat, a good combination.

Hmmm, does HB have any of this?

More and better when Phil is visiting, probably :D

Espresso Perfeito and BSCA Daterra are good well rounded starting points, it's because they are so balanced and smooth that I like them. However, if you're looking for something as stand out as MM, in a blend, I'd go for the Toba S. I've not tried the latest incarnation of the CoE blend. After that, we'd be looking at SO and then it's all about individual characteristics, so we'd really need to have an idea as to what you're after in the cup.
D
Last edited by Gouezeri on Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby lastcoyote » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:21 pm

RufusA wrote:The Monsoon I really enjoyed

If you really liked MM then i think you should try some yemen...though I don't think HB have any at the mo. Or maybe some Sumatra Lingtong. Definately some Ethiopian Longberry Harrar. But as Dom says you really need to say what you are after in the cup.
“Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and benumbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear a coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me -I am happy” - Hamlin Garland

Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Cona Vac Pot - Table Model "B"
Chemex CM-6A
Hario Woodneck
Hario V60 system
Hario Buono Drip Kettle
Bodum Columbia Press Pot
Bialetti Musa Moka Pot
Aerobie Aeropress
lastcoyote

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:30 pm

Premium Espresso Blend, La Manuela, La Fany and Cacheoira Bourbon are worth a go - all are reasonably priced too. Top coffees :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby leecb » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:39 pm

I agree about the Toba Sulawesi which is rich, chocolatey and earthy, sounds like you'd enjoy it,
the La Selecta is my current fave and I'm about to try the new COE blend,
then there's the Toca de Onca if you want a SO...
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby simonp » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:47 pm

I can reccomend all of the above, I would also try the Milano and Sienna blends from Roberts & Co, both very nice.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby monkey66 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:33 am

HB regular espresso blend is awsome....but only when it is not over-roasted (which unfortunatly it seems to be sometimes). Perhaps it is me and everyone else prefers it darker but when it is before oil it is a stunning drink.
Bezzera BZ99S with CAL PID
Mazzer Super Red
Large toolbox
monkey66

Postby Steve » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:20 pm

Just like to say feeling the love :)

Dom I'll have you know I have my own collection of malts, but I agree Mr Jordans is slightly larger than my own handful of bottles. But 4 years ago couldnt stand the stuff now I'll even enjoy a Islay.

Monkey I hear you and something thats been addressed, I agree as a medium dark roast its far better.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:37 pm

Steve wrote:Just like to say feeling the love :)

You ain't feeling anything of mine! Dirty old man :P

Some interesting comments. Roast degree is subjective at the best of time, and there aren't many definitive "right or wrongs". It has been suggested here, though, that *$ buys pretty good beans and then just roast the hell out of them, which we all know is a definite wrong. Which leads us to the great thing about our much maligned art of home roasting ("I know exactly how the beans should be roasted [...] I have the experience of what that coffee should taste like and people at home simply cannot develop those fine nuances"), not everybody has the same tastes, not everybody likes the same roasts, which is truly where home roasting comes in. I can think of a number of blends I would love to try roasting myself as the pre-roasted I've tried was simply too dark for me. That's my taste though.

So, Rufus, you've got a fair few suggestions here now, but if you want anything more specific, you'll have to give us a better idea of what you like and what you are after.
D
Ps. I thought everybody knew now, if you don't want you beans roasted dark, then don't phone Steve when he is roasting them :D Oh and I'm sure if anybody ever had any questions/comments about a particular roast, all they'd have to do is email him to sort it out. Now how many places can you do that with!
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping