Best "every day" pre-roasted espresso?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:42 pm

Thanks Dom, I feel I need to explain a little.

We did have an issue with a couple of batch that’s now been sorted. Its the pains of growing that I cant keep an eye on everything and I'm not the only one roasting now, but I think its been sorted and appreciate the heads up if it goes wrong. But rest assured I'm still roasting 80% of the coffee (Sorry :) ) and it was picked up quite quickly.

and yes don’t phone me while roasting, never a good idea :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:42 pm

I have always found Steve's roasts to be extremely consistent, to the extent that I have commented to him about it. It is nice that he is so accessible, and knowing Steve, he would not have it any other way. My only fear is that the accessibility leaves Steve, and other members of TMC with similar transparent policies about their commercial business, open to any mistakes being made very public without first having the opportunity to address any individual customer dissatisfaction.

Nothing at all directed at any individual here but it's just something that came to my mind having read this thread, along with something similar and clearly very inadvertant on (shhhhh) CG :wink:, in the past day or so. There is a responsibility of trust both ways in an open, and potentially public, relationship.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GeorgeW » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:45 pm

Sorry Dom, but you're terribly wrong to assert the home-roasting is subjective and it's impossible to have a bench-mark as it were.

I think it entirely possible that there exists someone who could be a living, breathing, and shining example of what a home-roaster should be. Someone who exemplifies the high standards demanded by home-roasting, and can make definitive judgements on each and every roast. It would probably be someone whose natural modesty would forbid him from seeing himself in this role.
Such people are rare, but you would do well to ponder if there is someone that just might qualify for this important task. 8)
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:53 pm

....... hmmmm, perhaps he has many new shiny things to roast and brew with too eh? :wink: :lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GeorgeW » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:56 pm

Did I hear you murmer that probably an older person would be ideal? 8)
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:57 pm

and he would need to be concerned ........... of Auchtermuchty :wink: :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby zapty » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:59 pm

My vote is for old George as our resident roasting guru (Do you live on a mountain top by chance George?
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:31 pm

Last I heard, our resident guru was missing a bean or two :wink:

Actually, my point regarding subjectivity was that we all like things roasted in our own particularly way (probably because we all grind, dose and brew differently). And, whilst I bow to far superior roasting knowledge and experience when it comes to San Stevo, that doesn't stop me wondering sometimes whether I might not have roasted something differently and even possibly (though improbably) preferred it, had I done it myself. Wouldn't it be boring if everything was roasted according to benchmarks! Actually, I find "Steve's" roasts extremely consistent. If this roasting demi-god which you say frequents this list, George, would like to send me a couple of free sample kg's in order to appreciate the benchmark that he has set, then I'd sure I'd be able to comment with more authority :D

Got to agree with Cakey's comments though, that on occasion in order to be treated well by suppliers, we have to keep up our end of the bargain.
D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby bruceb » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:34 pm

GeorgeW wrote:Did I hear you murmer that probably an older person would be ideal? 8)

My goodness, George! I had no idea that you so respected my skills! 8)
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby monkey66 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:50 am

I hope I wasn't out of line Steve, you know I love you and your beans!

I had communicated a couple of times with Steve about this issue but I still find more often than not (only on this blend) that the roast is taken to far for my liking and for me (and i only speak for me here) this is the difference between superb and undrinkable.

As has been stated that roast level is a very personal thing and I fully accept the challenges of an expanding business and trying to meet an inderviduals requirements may not always be possible.....still it give me motavation to work my way through all of steves other coffee :-)
Bezzera BZ99S with CAL PID
Mazzer Super Red
Large toolbox
monkey66

Postby GeorgeW » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:03 am

bruceb wrote:
GeorgeW wrote:Did I hear you murmer that probably an older person would be ideal? 8)

My goodness, George! I had no idea that you so respected my skills! 8)

:shock: :?
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:21 am

monkey66 wrote:I had communicated a couple of times with Steve about this issue

Always wise, and I know Steve appreciates feedback - well, except for mine :wink:

but I still find more often than not (only on this blend) that the roast is taken to far for my liking and for me (and i only speak for me here) this is the difference between superb and undrinkable.

I do know what you mean here, and I wouldn't think of this necessarily as a criticism of Steve or any other roaster, but as a sign of your own increasing knowledge and depth of palate. It's great to hear of when people really know what they are after in a cup, as it means they appreciate the work that has gone into a blend. Even when it's not quite how they would do it. As I said, there are a couple of commercial blends from reputable roasters whom I respect, and whose beans I would just love to try roasting myself. I'm not sure I could do a better job, but I can but wonder whether the roast profile wouldn't be more to my liking.

That is what it is all about, personal taste. I know that Steve has the utmost respect for (most of) his customers (except the ones who think that coffee grounds should dissolve in the cup! :wink:) and that he appreciates both feedback and people that take an interest in his roasts. It's good to have different opinions on these things, and it is important to voice these differences as it keeps us all thinking and trying new ideas.

It is easy to forget how lucky we are to have a roaster with such a wide variety of stock who roasts fresh to order. I know this sounds biased, but I would just love for there to be more guys like Steve, and hopefully there will be soon. Roasting to order is already a luxury compared to most, asking for it to be roasted to a particular profile is just one step too far, commercially that is. This, for me, is where home roasting steps in. Still, nice to dream sometimes :wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Steve » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:49 am

Monkey is a great thread not a problem at all, you got to take the the medicine if you want to feel the love. I appreciate the feedback and I think I said at the time I'd look into it which I did. Without the flagging up of the problem we would be plodding on. Its quite Ironic in a way as I'm often accused of being a tad too light for most people :)

I hope there aren't too many more roasters come on the Scene Dom, just a few of the wayward ones change there ways will do for me :) One man's meat is another man's poison and all that and as long as your not dark roasting to cover up bad beans it has its place but rarely at my table :)
Steve
Founder Member

Previous

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping