4 ESS, my first blend.

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

4 ESS, my first blend.

Postby Coffee Maniac » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:53 am

OK, the first blend I created I call 4 ESS.
Or 4 Estate Stavby Special, to be more specific. 8)

What is in it, I hear you ask?
4 kinds of nice beans, don´t have very specific names to the beans, since the Swedish webshop for green coffee didn´t have very much specifics about each coffee.

40% Brasilian Santos, "Nicchio Sobrinho" (screen 17/18)
20% Colombian Excelso
20% Monsooned Malabar
20% Dominican Republic Juncalito

I roasted them all separately to about Full City+ or Full city++, then postblended. Tasted damn good as an espresso! 8)

Try it, and let me know if you like my 4 ESS!
Brewtus II - Mazzer Mini, model B - Genecafé - Cona Vacpot - CafeSolo
Coffee Maniac

Postby Beanie » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:09 pm

What's are the beans like as S.O. Kent? And how much of the entire blend (gram wise) do you have now?

Oh... and we love pics ;) ;) :D
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Coffee Maniac » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:13 pm

I think I have perhaps enough to make a double espresso left...
I haven´t tried them all as SO.

You will get pictures... later. Now that I have my all new and shiny Genecafé (I roasted the 4 ESS with my iRoast-2).
I haven´t cracked the virginity of my Genecafé yet. Perhaps later tonight... But I don´t want to go roasting a lot of beans either since I will be left without any espressomachine at all next week. :(
Coffee Maniac

Postby Beanie » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:45 pm

A double-shot left :shock: ...err, how much did you have to begin with? Maybe a clearer question is what was the smallest batch you roasted.

So which beans have you tasted as S.O.? I'm particularly curious about the Dominican :) I dunno why I am, I just am :P

Surely you must have other brewing methods of enjoying your coffee even if your e/m is gone next week??? Otherwise, check out the Aerobie Aeropress :) That should give you a good range of brew types :)

Go on... you know you want to go roast crazy with the Gene ;) :twisted: :P
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby bruceb » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:54 pm

Kent, maniac or not, your avatar scares me. Image
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Coffee Maniac » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:00 pm

I had 140 gr of each bean to begin with. I postblended to another blend first (from Sweetmaria I think, no Monsoon in it). Then I made this blend since I wanted a bit more "bite" to it. I took a bit less of the other beans and added Monsoon to get this blend, the Monsoon did great.

I meant from this specific blend I have enough for one shot I think. I still have left from the Monsoon, no brazil, but I have some of the other coffees. I had some friends ofer a few days ago and they drank a few of my precious espressos... bastards! ;)

My wifes father (who loves espresso) and I did a straight comparison. My 4 ESS against Sweetmarias "The Sweet Espresso" I think (not their beans, a recipe for a blend) from the same roast to the both blends.

My blend won, we both thought it tasted better. Ha! :D

Oh, and I still have the Cona when they take the espressomachine...
I have to check how much money I have left. Damn, I want a machine...
Coffee Maniac

Postby Beanie » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:06 pm

Doh... I should have read your sig line :roll: :oops: (heheh... like the last line :lol:) Well, no worries with breaking in the Gene & "surplus" coffee then ;) :D
Beanie

Postby Coffee Maniac » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:13 pm

Yeah, but I don´t think I want all beans in the Cona.
Does robusta like taste good in a Cona? Isn´t it more suitabble in espresso? Hmmm...
Coffee Maniac

Postby Beanie » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:51 pm

Heheh... I almost said I don't have any robusta... but then again... someone gave me a kilo of the stuff last month :lol: It's still unopened ;) Errmm... which one of the ones you listed is robusta?
Beanie

Postby bruceb » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:55 pm

Must be the "Junkalito!" Image
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Coffee Maniac » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:55 pm

Oh, none. IBut I want to try robusta too (I think something like 10% or so in a blend).
Just meant that I can´t go crazy-roasting since I will loose the espressomachine. I would be left with some beand that would fit better in a espreso... I almost need to be roasting with the Cona in mind now.

I have 2 different robustat to try, one is Monsooned Robusta. Sounds fun. If I omnly had a espr. machine...
Coffee Maniac

Postby Coffee Maniac » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:56 pm

bruceb wrote:Must be the "Junkalito!" Image

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Coffee Maniac

Postby Coffee Maniac » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:18 pm

Correction... all I have left of my roasted beans are:
One shot of 4ESS, some Monsooned Malabar, 100 gr Brazilian Santos (a newer batch) and I think about 80 gram Kenya Gethumbwini.

And perhaps 3 shots of "sack the rest of it all in one blend" from various beans that was just about to end (colombia, Dominican, the rest of "The Sweet Espresso" and some Monsoon to even out the brighter beans added).

I need to do some roasting today.
Coffee Maniac

Postby Beanie » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:21 pm

Have fun with the Gene :D :D

Mmmm Gethumbwini in the Cona should be nice, no? :)
Beanie

Postby Coffee Maniac » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:29 pm

Yep, it was. I think I want to add a bit of Monsoon in it though. I think it will get even better then. :D
Coffee Maniac

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping