sweet and earthy

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

sweet and earthy

Postby huub » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:16 pm

Hi there!
I've happily just discovered ordering beans from the golden coffee box here in holland, and my newly arrived [size=x-small]Brazil Santa Luzia crop 2004[/size] is just wonderful!
I really like caramelly coffees, and this one is sweet and darkly roasted..
For some reason (might just be that it's a cheap machine) my isomac will only make nice espressos with darkly roasted beans..
However; The best coffees i've had in italy, were both sweet, yet had this subtle earthy undertone, wich gave it a sort of depth of taste (hey, i'm not a professional cupper, i'm just trying to explain my sensation).
Can anyone advise me on the type of bean i should try out? Or is this subtleness of taste unreachable with my isomac giada?

cheeeers
huub
excellent, smithers...

Isomac Itala, waterfilter, some shiny grinder that works pretty well, but has no brand I think.
huub

Postby Slimboyfat » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:13 am

Hi huub

If you're into blending yourself, you could try adding some Peaberry, or Old Brown Java to your caramelly beans

Otherwise, ask your supplier if they have an espresso blend to suit

No doubt more advice will follow...

regards
Slimboy...

...never knowingly underfed

expobar pulser, quickmill 031, Reg Barber Radical Pro US curve, Koenigbot, aerobie, armour plated welded 1910 hybrid german whirley, several french presses, antique nepolitana, an old stovetop, Zassenhaus that smells of pepper and a hoover attachment colander/cooler thing
Slimboyfat

Postby huub » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:52 pm

Thanks,
Yeah, I've actually ordered some java beans to blend, just to try..
I shall see.. or taste rather..
cheers
excellent, smithers...

Isomac Itala, waterfilter, some shiny grinder that works pretty well, but has no brand I think.
huub

Postby leecb » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:02 pm

Monsooned Malabar? Subtle it aint tho... :lol:
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby Aadje » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:59 am

try HB's toba sulawesi espresso blend, it's nice, as for the Bertha COE some other things I can't remember.

yeah had a party (actually a xmas dinner which resulted in a pary) and drunk some beer . .. again . . .
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby Beanie » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:00 am

Huub if you also like 'liquorice' with the caramelly flavours, try the Terezinha. Do you know the temp of the water as it exits the group head?

Oh and most of us are not professional cuppers either ;) Prolly only a handful here, if that even, are :)

Aadje :lol: the others were BOA Sorte Roast 1 & 2 and Guatemala El Bosque Amatitlan
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby huub » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:32 pm

thanks all!

I don't know the temperature of the water, it's a tiny bit too low for my taste, but i guess there's no way to change it in my machine..
excellent, smithers...

huub

Postby HughF » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:09 pm

Which Isomac do you have? I don't know them at all but there might be someone here who can help you adjust the temperature and widen your choice of beans. Even if your thermostat/pressurestat is fixed, you could make it a bit hotter using the steam button for a short period if it's a single boiler machine. If it's an HX machine it will probably be adjustable.

It would be good to use a styrofoam cup and a thermometer to get some idea of your machine's brewing temperature to see if it really is wrong. You'll need to allow for temperature loss this way compared to normal brewing though. Try a search for styrofoam and thermometer to find an estimate of that temperature loss.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby huub » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:54 pm

kay, thanks!

I'm slowly getting there: i just blended 1/3 of shiny dark java with 2/3 of the brazilian caramel... just a bit too earthy, but i'm happily enjoying this nevertheless... yum!
I have a giada b.t.w. and i shall try the steambutton trick.
excellent, smithers...

huub

Postby HughF » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:07 pm

Huub : Did you just change your signature to include the machine details or was I even more asleep than usual while on this forum last night when I asked about it?

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby huub » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:11 pm

haha, no, your cognitive skills are fine; i just added that today...

Oh, boy oh, boy!! my latest blend with about 1/8 java beans is soooooo good!!
seems just impossible to make a wrong cup with this stuff, whoooooopeee!!
sweet, with just a hint of earthiness.. :P
seems to have a lot of caffeine too... :shock: :!:
excellent, smithers...

huub

Postby Dan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:07 pm

I have to recommend HasBeans Toba Sulawesi too. I'm only on my first 250g but it's awesome. Really earthy, sweet, chocolate tones and thick like warm honey. It's definately going to become this years blend of choice.

I also got some of Scotts HappyDonkey Italian roast with a grinder and it was excellent.

A note about the Toba Sulawesi, Mine rested for five days before it got to it's best - Roasted on the 11th and it was very unbalanced on the 12th but on the 16th I got a definite 'God Shot' from it, which is always a good sign (one of those cups that you don't want to end - curse you only 2oz!!) . I take a little sugar though which obviously colours the taste.

Plus, of course, you can't beat Steve's customer service.

D.
Dan

Postby Steve » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:29 pm

Amen Dan it does need some rest I've found this with nearly all Indonesians
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Gadders » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:35 am

Think im going to splash a bit of cash on the ole' toba sulawesi too :) Lovely stuff
Gadders

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping