Addiction to buying greens

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Addiction to buying greens

Postby phil » Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:02 pm

Oh dear. I must come out of the closet.

I'm a compulsive green coffee buyer.

Well you see, if I don't buy them now they might go out of stock and then I'd never get to try them. I'm sure you understand. :wink:

Just this week I've bought (and received today)
  • Hasbean's Colombian Supremo Single Estate "La Manuela" (1kg)
  • Hasbean's Bolivian Organic (1kg)
  • Hasbean's Australian Skybury (0.5kg)
Then to top it all off I've just gone mad at Sweet Maria's. You see, one of the Kenyans I fancied had just gone out of stock and so I thought I'd better go and get all of the interesting Cup of Excellence stuff before it disappeared. I'm sure you understand. :oops:

So I bought :
  • Costa Rican Auction Lot -El Legendario 5 lbs
  • El Salvador Cup of Exc. - San Francisco 5 lbs
  • Honduras Org. SHG - Sebastian Melgar 5 lbs
  • Nicaragua Cup of Exc. - Co-op 22 de Sept. 5 lbs
  • Panama Auction Lot -Elida Estate 5 lbs
  • Colombian Organic Mesa de Los Santos 5 lbs
  • Kenya AA Auction Lot -Mika 432 2 lbs
  • Kenya AA Auction Lot -Mbwinjeru 2 lbs
  • Kenya AA Auction Lot -Kihenia 2 lbs

I only bought smaller quantities of the Kenyans because I'm hoping that Hasbean will get in a lovely estate Kenyan in when stock replenishment requires it. If that doesn't happen for whatever reason, I'll just have to go back and see what sexy coffees are available at that later time.

This little lot has cost me $280 including surface shipping (insured). That converts to about GBP 10 per kilo, which is pricy but not hellishly so. After all I have bought the most expensive coffees he sells (apart from his JBM and Kona).

It's a good job that green coffee keeps fairly well!
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:34 am

Back when I still roasted (I'm hoping to pick it up again after the move) I had the same problem. There is something addictive about buying greens.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

When is the move?

Postby phil » Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:57 am

When is the move? Someone told me that in Belgium the time from contract signing to moving is notmally very short. He also said that the taxes associated with house purchase are astronomical so people only tend to buy a house once.

True?

Anyway, best of luck with it all and just keep talking to us when you can.
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:53 pm

We move on Oct. 4th, but we already start working in the house next week saturday (Sept 27th).

In Belgium, we usually sign two contracts chez the notary: 1. the "compromis", something like a very formal promise to show up for 2. the "akte" (act, deed, a very formal contract that has the power of proof comparable to a law, which means: if it says that I'm the owner, and it's in the "akte", you'll have a very hard task proving that I'm not.

The act is usually signed between 2 months and 4 months after the compromis: the notary has to do all kinds of investigations (is the seller really the owner of the house, are any debts attached to the house - like a hypothecary debt - is the house subject to a law of disownment,...). And usually the house becomes available at the act, only in our case the vermin wanted to stay another two weeks and there was nothing we could do. But next Thursday it will be empty for us to move in.

Yay!

And then starts the misery of working in it and paying it off. Bah.

About the not moving thing: that's right, the taxes are extremely high, but they solved that now - more or less - by giving you the right to take the taxes "with you" to the next house you buy.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping