Anyone remember Van Nelle

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Anyone remember Van Nelle

Postby quink » Wed May 12, 2004 3:17 pm

I think thats how its spelt. Any way does anyone remember this brand? I was at the old mans place at the week end and he had a promotional tea towel (odd thing for a coffee co. to give away dont you think :wink: ) thats god only knows how old, with the brand on it. I can remember drinking it about 10-15 years ago but havn't seen it since. Is it still available or did they stop selling coffee :?: It may have been sold in vacuum packed bricks like douwe egberts but again I'm not sure.
quink

Postby Raf » Wed May 12, 2004 3:27 pm

Van Nelle was bought by Sara Lee/Douwe Egberts in 1989. The brand is apparently still sold in the Netherlands, but they may have brought all the Van Nelle products abroad under the Douwe Egberts brand. Anyway, sometimes I drive by the DE roastery in Brussels (it's right next to an expressway) and I can literally taste chemicals in my mouth. I don't know what they do to that coffee, but it ain't good.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping