That bloody Kenyan Ruera

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

That bloody Kenyan Ruera

Postby phil » Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:35 pm

OK, recently roasted another batch, lighter still. I have this to taste at the same time as I taste the Kona. Actually, that'll have to be on consecutive days.

Hopefully I'm nearer the mark this time. The bad news is I only have one batch left unroasted!
phil
Founder Member

AHA

Postby phil » Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:49 pm

Getting there. Less roast, more wine. Could do to be a little lighter yet, but we're getting there.

The boss liked it. She also likes Costas. Generally I think she likes lighter, more acidic coffees. Actually you could never call a Kenyan "light", so I guess she just likes "coffee" and not "roast". Bit like someone else I know I Steve?

The bad news is I have only one batch left. So I have a choice to make.

I have to say I fancy some Mika and probably some Mbwinjeru. Maybe also some Kihenia. Steve, what's your state of play re your AA? Got much left? Fancy getting a sample of Gethumbwini from Mercanta? Or I suppose I could get some more Ruera from CM, although I'd rather not buy from him any more.

Just a suggestion, you're getting a lot of those so please don't over-commit yourself.
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:36 pm

Hi phil I will be getting in some kind of single estate kenya in the next month or so. Need to lower supplies of current stock but hold that thought I will be getting something exciting :)
Steve
Founder Member

OK Steve

Postby phil » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:21 am

In the mean time, we drank a pot of this stuff this morning. A clear demonstration of a coffee reaching its peak several days after roasting. The winey acidity was pleasantly evident, with the roast flavours being quite subdued. All in all quite yummy. Shame I was rushing for the train! Allyson loved it too.

Actually from what I read lighter roasted coffees can take longer to come to their peak than darker roasted ones. This is all very informative and entertaining. I want my espresso machine back, but not having it for a while is forcing me to learn all sorts of interesting stuff, and that's good.
phil
Founder Member

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping