Smithfarms Kona

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Smithfarms Kona

Postby phil » Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:29 pm

Sample very kindly provided by Steve in return for the MG. I roasted same on Friday evening, short of 2nd but to a stage where the smell was definitely sweet.

Time to taste it tomorrow (Monday) so this posting is a placeholder to get your interest up.

Will post tasting results tomorrow.
phil
Founder Member

First taste

Postby phil » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:02 pm

My first Kona.

Hmmm, I'm not very good at "name that taste".

Got plenty of malty taste. The result was "bigger" than I expected. Kept getting an odd ashy taste near the front of my tongue.

Disclaimer - I roasted this coffee short of 2nd. Fersure.

Didn't get any real top notes. No flowers, no fruit. In fact the malt was the only bit of the harvest festival I did get.

Maybe the "ashy" taste was the "pine" taste people talk about, but the pine got roasted. OK, I'll get my coat .....

Seriously I need to think about this a bit more. Also I need to make the coffee earlier in my morning ritual so I've actually got time to taste it and think about what I'm tasting.

If I get some more, either from Steve or more likely direct from Bob & Cea, I'll have to try it slightly lighter still. I admit that I terminated the roast well after the smell turned sweet, but still before 2nd. I could have gone earlier.

Oh, and btw, I liked it!!
phil
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:08 pm

did you find the cinamon type after taste when its rested about 5-7 days it blows your head off (5-7 is proberbly to stale for you phil;) )

steve
Steve
Founder Member

Resting

Postby phil » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:20 am

Actually 5-7 days isn't necessarily stale for me. I understand that some coffees need to be left for a while before they give up their secrets. Odd that the guys at the Mercanta "do" seemed to think it was all a load of blx isn't it?

Anyway, had some this morning. Didn't get the ash. Did get something which may have been the "pine" note that people talk about. Didn't get the cinammon. Must try again tomorrow.

Footnote : Katie made her own very first pot of fresh coffee yesterday in a 3-cup cafetiere I hardly ever use. She blended 4 parts Kona to one part Kenyan. Personally I think that sounds like sacrilege but she said it was really good. A coffeegeek in the making that girl - takes after her Dad in that respect (but she's too good looking to take after me physically!)
phil
Founder Member

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping