Can I make an espresso blend from these?

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Can I make an espresso blend from these?

Postby Craig » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:44 pm

Hello,

I mainly roast single origin coffees, and I have never blended a coffee myself. The only blend I use is Has bean espresso blend.

At this stage I really want to start blending coffee. I have read so much on the subject that my head now hurts, but I think I understand the basics, I just need to put them into pratice.

My brother managed to get his hands on some green beans(in Germany) which he is sending over to me.
This is what is on the way...
*Sumatra Mandheling
*Salvador SHG
*Col Supremo popayan.
*Kenya AA

I would like to try create an espresso blend from these, but I'm not too sure where to begin......Does anybody have any suggestions??

Cheers,

Craig.
Craig

Postby espressomattic » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:50 pm

I would sugest using the Coombian as a base say 50-60%, possibly 20-30% Salvador and the remainder of sumatra. The Colombian would give good bases notes, although a good Brazillian like Daterra would be better. The Sumatran would be good to gives some wood, smoke and spicey earth notes and these are best as a back ground. Maybe taken to a medium dark roast over a long profile. The Sumatran is best taken quite dark but I doubt the others would tolerate that. So I would suggest as long a profile as possible to bring out the flavours.

I would leave out the Kenyan IMHO.

They best way to go is to trust your instincts. Read up some tasting notes and blend to how you feel you would want it to taste. Most of all enjoy it! :D

Matt
espressomattic

Postby Craig » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:54 pm

Thanks Matt,

Ill start with that.

60% colombian
20% Salvador
20%sumatra
Craig

Postby kingseven » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:57 pm

What sort of espresso do you like? Heavy? Light? Sweet? Acidic? Roasty? Fruity?
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Craig » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:20 pm

I am not a fan of acidic espresso, my Palate is not great, I struggle to pick out all the different flavours/sensations of coffee but I do notice if coffee is acidic......so I guess Light, sweet. I might use a more acidic or heavy espresso if I was using it in a milk based drink but genrally I drink all my coffee black and unsweetened, so a naturally sweet espresso would appeal to me.
Craig

Postby kingseven » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:42 pm

In that case I would maybe try:

30% colombian
30% Salvador
40%sumatra

Roasting just into second crack (but I am no roaster - so the pros please talk over me)
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby espressomattic » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:38 pm

Will have to agree with Jim there. However i really think you will struggle with a light coffee with the sumatran in there. Maybe bump up the colombian and reduce theSalvador? Just to balance out the Spiceyness. As for roasting I would agree just into 2C, but not rolling. Again stretch it out as long as you can without baking them. What roaster do you have?
espressomattic

Postby Steve » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:42 pm

Sounds like a winner to me Jim, fancy a job :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Davec » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:20 am

Just an idea: you could always post blend the slavador into a 50/50 colombian, Sumatra mix roasted medium dark (but on the lighter side of medium dark as I personally think Colombian goes pretty rancid if its too dark. I know some like dark Colombian, but not me. Split the batch into 4 or 5 parts, then post blend in some other stuff.

Roast up the Salvador separately and then add the salvador in if you need it and see what it adds (if anything) in varying amounts. If the Salvador is not good in the blend, then you still have a nice single varietal coffee to enjoy.

Now some Heresy, as you have the Kenyan, hey, might as well roast it (as you would a normal Kenyan). Again no problem with bunging it a little and see what happens if you think it might lift it. If it doesn't, enjoy the Kenyan in a presspot.

Now a lot of agro, but the mean mans way to having fun with a limited variety of coffees and nothing which will waste very much coffee or give you a large quantity of something you might not like.
Davec

Postby ivdp » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:11 am

espressomattic wrote:I would sugest using the Coombian as a base say 50-60%, possibly 20-30% Salvador and the remainder of sumatra. The Colombian would give good bases notes, although a good Brazillian like Daterra would be better. The Sumatran would be good to gives some wood, smoke and spicey earth notes and these are best as a back ground. Maybe taken to a medium dark roast over a long profile. The Sumatran is best taken quite dark but I doubt the others would tolerate that. So I would suggest as long a profile as possible to bring out the flavours.

I would leave out the Kenyan IMHO.

They best way to go is to trust your instincts. Read up some tasting notes and blend to how you feel you would want it to taste. Most of all enjoy it! :D

Matt

My suggestions:
keep things simple
blend your 2 favorite singles: 50/50
blend your 3 favs: 33/33/33

Take notes

Don't take advice from others: it's your taste not ours . . .

Ivo
ivdp

Postby espressomattic » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:19 am

Ivo surely if someone is new then they can ask for advice mate. I am sure you meant that well however without asking here I would have been lost. I get what you are saying but that last bit of 'advice' contradicts yourself.

The thing is we are here to help and advise each other, this in turn helps us to broaden our knowledge and develop our tastes. If somebody doesn't want advice they wouldn't ask.

As you say it is the individuals taste that counts not ours.
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:43 pm

:lol: Advised not to take advice ...... love it :lol:

No offence intended to anyone and I fully understand what was meant, it just tickled my sense of humour :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:24 pm

:) LOL :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Craig » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:48 pm

Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to print this page off and try a few diferent suggestions from it.

Ill let you know the results...

@ espressomattic.....I use a soon to be retired Alpenrost.
Craig

Postby espressomattic » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:54 pm

Good luck Craig and remember it is not wrong or dirty to ask advice ;)
espressomattic

Next

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping