well it works for cheese

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

well it works for cheese

Postby siliconslave » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:22 pm

Mouldy coffee 'tastes better'
New Brazilian research has found that fungus in coffee crops makes for a flavoursome brew.
"Fungus naturally occurs on raw coffee beans and the Brazilian researchers found that the sweeter the species, the better the coffee tasted and smelt."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 61,00.html

niiiiiice :shock:
siliconslave

Postby Raf » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:30 pm

works for grapes too: see also the pourriture noble (botrytis or noble rot) that Château d'Yquem makes a lot of money from!
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Re: well it works for cheese

Postby Davec » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:39 pm

siliconslave wrote:Mouldy coffee 'tastes better'
New Brazilian research has found that fungus in coffee crops makes for a flavoursome brew.
"Fungus naturally occurs on raw coffee beans and the Brazilian researchers found that the sweeter the species, the better the coffee tasted and smelt."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 61,00.html

niiiiiice :shock:

Well they could say that wouldn't they :wink: ...."ah I have some mouldy coffee, I know, fungus is good......"

I did think there were limits on Aflatoxins permissible in coffee....and I guess it depends on the type of fungus, but in general, difficult to see fungus being a good thing. Good coffee shouldn't need fungus to taste better should it? :shock: :roll:
Davec

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:17 pm

The stale and mouldy coffee served up locally not long ago didn't taste too good to me or the TMC friend that spat it out at the time :lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:41 pm

Interesting sideline here: The diterpenes cafestol and kahweol that are found in coffee beans, both green and after roasting, protect against the carcinogenic effects of aflotoxins and other agents that bind to DNA. Another good reason to have the ol' espresso machine running 24/7!
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby blackice » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:01 pm

Brazil Rio is infamous for its off-taste characteristics
It's usually used in Greece for Greek coffee blends
Olympia Cremina
Mazzer Super Jolly
Turbo Crazy
blackice

Postby kingseven » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:59 am

bruceb wrote:Interesting sideline here: The diterpenes cafestol and kahweol that are found in coffee beans, both green and after roasting, protect against the carcinogenic effects of aflotoxins and other agents that bind to DNA. Another good reason to have the ol' espresso machine running 24/7!

Though both have been linked to an increase in cholesterol which is why the guy who makes the aeropress refuses to do an official metal filter (last I heard anyway)
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping