Tres Marias Oriente shb Guatemala

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Tres Marias Oriente shb Guatemala

Postby bruceb » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:17 pm

Looking for roasters on ebay recently I noticed someone selling 15 kg of Guat by the kilo. I wrote him and asked if I could buy the whole lot and the rest is history. In fact, in the meantime I have corresponded with the very interesting young man a number of times, but that's another story.

He sent the beans right off and they arrived today. I was surprised by the small size(s) of the beans, but they are lovely, no breakage, no worm holes, no debris. They came in the original 65kg jute bag, carefully packed in a box and wrapped with paper.

Since I don't know these beans at all I thought I'd roast small batches to different stages, so I got out my trusty old HW Precision that I bought from Ivo 5 years ago. The first 80 g looked lovely after 15 sec into second crack, so I stopped there and this is what they look like. I' ll do some more roasts this evening and taste them on the weekend.

I'd forgotten how much fun it is to watch the roast in the Precision. I'll have to do it more often. The roast seems quite even and very few beans have craters in them.

Cupping report follows on Sunday. Image
Attachments
Tres Marias Oriente shb Guatemala a.jpg
Second roast same time as first.
Tres Marias Oriente shb Guatemala a.jpg (51.94 KiB) Viewed 9268 times
Tres Marias Oriente shb Guatemala gr u r a.jpg
Arabica Tres Marias Oriente shb Guatemala - HW Precision 6'45''
Tres Marias Oriente shb Guatemala gr u r a.jpg (52.75 KiB) Viewed 9268 times
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:19 pm

They look very nice Bruce. Are you going to cup some and tell us what they are like?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:28 pm

CakeBoy wrote:They look very nice Bruce. Are you going to cup some and tell us what they are like?

Hi Mark,
Check the last line of my post :D
(I know, they're always so long that no one gets to the bottom, but that's the kind of tedious guy I am.
bruceb

Postby Beanie » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:42 pm

Looks fab, Bruce. The greens look beautifully clean and shiny fresh :D
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:45 pm

bruceb wrote:
CakeBoy wrote:They look very nice Bruce. Are you going to cup some and tell us what they are like?

Hi Mark,
Check the last line of my post :D
(I know, they're always so long that no one gets to the bottom, but that's the kind of tedious guy I am.

:lol: I got excited seeing the pictures scroll up on the screen and rushed to look at them. If I had a brain, I would be dangerous :wink:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:11 pm

Well, I couldn't resist pushing them on a bit further. This is about 45 seconds into second crack and they were getting quite oily. They look so beautiful that I may not be able to wait until Saturday. I think I'll try these as an SO espresso. Image
Attachments
Tres Marias Oriente shb Guatemala_fulCitPlus.jpg
Tres Marias Oriente shb Guatemala - 7'30''
Tres Marias Oriente shb Guatemala_fulCitPlus.jpg (50.72 KiB) Viewed 9245 times
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:46 pm

Yes they do look nice Bruce. What a lovely rich colour :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Joris » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:46 am

looks nice :)
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby bruceb » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:54 am

Well, I know I promised a cupping report on these by Sunday, but I'm still rather confused by the results, so I'm holding back for the smoke to settle (figuratively speaking).

I do know, however, that this bean is not suitable as a full-city-plus SO espresso. It is marvelously clean and chocolaty, but that is all. It has little or no other character and might be suitable as a base for or in a blend, but not an SO. I tried the city roast in a press pot, but my own physical state was not good enough to call the observations I could make at all objective (too much Cabernet Sauvignon and cognac the night before) Image.

So hang tight, I'm working on it. Image
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby chemistone » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:56 am

Who cares about the taste, the roasted beans look beautiful! :D
As a final touch God created the Dutch

Mazzer mini, ECM Giotto²
chemistone

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping