Costa Rica Tarrazu

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Costa Rica Tarrazu

Postby bruceb » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:16 pm

Karin took me and my trusty wheelchair to work today, the first time since my operation 5 weeks ago. My colleagues gave me some nice presents and get-well cards and it was most pleasant, best kind of work situation. :lol:

One of the presents was a 250g packet of pre-roasted Costa Rica Tarrazu La Minita estate. I was a bit amused at first because all of my colleagues know that I roast my own, am an insufferable coffee snob and so on. The beans were roasted in front of my secretary's eyes on Saturday (3 days ago) in Hamburg Speicherstadt, however, and I thought I'd be polite and give them a fair try.

I was pleased to see the beans were roasted quite darkly, full city+ or so, very even with that matt sheen that beans have when they come out of a 5kg Probat (good secretary, she wrote down the name and model of the roaster).

I ground them and was not impressed with the aroma of the fresh grounds, not unpleasent, just a bit dull.

First I made a double espresso, a 26 sec. shot. The crema was first chocolate brown, but at about 20 sec. it lightened up and became a deep beige (?), not copious, but perhaps 3mm in a demitasse. The aroma was delightful, rich and sweet. My taste impression was:

good acidity
very good balance
full body but still delicate
semi-sweet chocolate
some fruit, perhaps plum
the mouth feel was velvety
fine, long-lasting, delicate finish

It was so good that after an hour I made a ristretto. The crema remained a deep, chocolate brown and all the flavours were intensified. It was definitely not a sledge hammer, but rather refined and delicate.

I think there would be flowery notes to this bean, but it was roasted so darkly that any floweriness was pretty much lost. I think I'll try to get some of these green and try some different roasts.

All-in-all a very pleasant surprise.
bruceb

Postby Joris » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:53 pm

Now that's a nice present :) You trained your co-workers well ;)
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:58 pm

That was very nice of them and good that the beans were quite nice too :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping