Joris' Afrasian Blend

Tell us about the latest beans you've discovered and blends you've tried

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Joris' Afrasian Blend

Postby espressomattic » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:32 am

Well Mr Joris and myself have indulged in a little cross channel blend swapping and I tried his blend today, he hasn't told me what was in it so I have had a 'blind cupping' sort of thing this morning.

OK benas were dark roasted and covered in lots of lovely oils. The grounds smelt spicey and earthy but not over roasted (a good sign I think!)

OK onto the shot, it was a 24 sec double. Loads of great tiger stripes and a nice mid brown crema with lots of darks flecks. The aroma of the shot was very earthy and spicey. The first taste was loads of earthy spices and maybe a little tobacco. It tasted dirty, but in a good way (My fav taste in a cup). It had a silky mouth feel. There was a very subtle citrus undertone, but this did not overpower the earth notes. The after taste left a creamy taste in the mouth that lasted sometime. It was very low on acidity and was very full bodied.

So what beans did he use? Well I am going to make myself look stupid here and suggest some:

Kalosi
O B Java
Harrar

Don't know about any others, possibly a Robusta as I am sat here enjoying one heck of a caffine hit :D

SO all in all Joris it is a really nice blend and I mean NICE!!!!!!! I would give it a hearty 9/10... :D

Well done mate!!!! So now feel free to slate my effort ;)

Matt
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:33 am

It sounds lovely Matt. I look forward to hearing more about the blend and the beans in it from both of you :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Steve » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:14 am

Hands accross Europe, one nation..... :)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby espressomattic » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:25 pm

I dared another double, again very spicey and earthy, slightly more citrus coming through this time, slightly longer extraction and finer grind. I am now having an official 'too much coffee' moment, better capitalise on the hit and get some jobs done ;) Slightly darker crema this time too, on reflection I also think the spice notes were more pronounced also I detected a buttery after taste which I have never come across before, creamy, yes, but not butter, very interesting.
espressomattic

Postby Joris » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:52 am

Will post my taste notes of your blend tomorrow, tonight I'm not going home so can't try your blend and I didn't have any time yesterday (had to entertain and make coffee for 8 people all day long). Tomorrow I'll post details about the ingredients of my blend as well.
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby espressomattic » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:17 am

*Waits eagerly having had another double*

Lots os smokey flavours now and very full on taste...Cor Blimey!!! :D
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:38 am

Crikey Breako, steady on there you'll be blowing some valves with all those lovely shots :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby espressomattic » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:58 pm

Gosh I think I have blown something.....a tyre maybe ;) :D

Will be trying it in a latte tomorrow to see how it fares, this is getting a full road test!!!! :D

Once again I have hit 'toomuchcoffeetime' today......YAY!!!!

I am curious as to what a slightly lighter roast would be like over a longer profile now. I think you could find a subtle difference in the flavours with the citrus really coming through. :roll:
espressomattic

Postby Joris » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:09 pm

Well, first of all about what's in the blend you tried from me....

Brazil Bahia (25%) 2nd until small dots oil appear
Etheopian Yirgacheffe (20%) 2nd until 1st sign of oil
Sulawesi Kalossi (25%) 2nd until oils show regularly
India Peaberry Bold (10%) 2nd until small dots oil appear
India Robusta (10%) 2nd until small dots oil appear
Harrar (10%) 2nd until oils show regularly

What I think the beans do to this blend:
The spices are mainly from the Bahia and the smokey taste from the Peaberry Bold. Kalossi brings in a nice sweetness and the Yirga and Harrar bring in a hint of fruit. The mouthfeel is mainly caused by the Bahia. K&C (Kick and Caffeine)by he robusta.

I tried your blend (from now on called the Breako Blend), I got a bit of dark chocolat in the beginning, later it was spicey/nutty (not sure how to describe it) and there was quite some fruit as well. Am not sure but thought there was a hint of caramel / burnt sugar. Silky texture. Pleasant but somewhat dry long lingering aftertaste. I think there must be Harrar in the blend and Cachoera or another Brazil ?

Will try another couple of shots tomorrow and post any updates... am curious as on how this blend is as ristretto....

Doserless Mazzer Major
Joris

Postby espressomattic » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:16 pm

Ok Joris...you got what I was hoping for...the questions is...did you actually like it??? :S

125g La Manuela (Columbia)
75g Datterra Sweet Yellow Collection
25g Indian Peaberry
25g Harrar

Chocolate from the columbian & Daterra, spice and nuts from the Peaberry, caramel would be the Columbian again and the fruit Harrar...

You have found words I couldn't find, yours too gives a 'dry' after taste as well.

It's funny that we have basically swapped beans by and large!!! :D Is it the Indian Monsooned Robusta in there?
Looking forward to the morning brew already :D :D :D
espressomattic

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:28 am

Nicely done both of you. I'm dead impressed by your tasting prowess and both blends sound great :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Paul L » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:03 am

It's a pleasure to read because it helps give cues as to what kind of beans to try next and to experiment blending with.

I've completely lost my heart to Steve's India Peaberry Bold, I've yet to roast any of the Bolivian Sante Fe in my cupboard but hope these two give me the bold, nutty foundation I seek.

I like the comments about dryness from Brazilian, it's not a phrase that would have sprung to mind but is exactly what I have found and personally don't want it, I just didn't know what it was that I didn't want - if you see what I mean.

Sweetness made me sit up and take notice so I really ought to try Sulawesi Kalossi, one that Steve has recommended to me anyway.

So, I can see me playing with combinations of India Peaberry, Santa Fe, Kalossi, perhaps La Manuela and then something fruity to balance out. I would be interested in success folks have had with this kind of big, bold, nutty blend as I'm pretty sure it's the direction I am headed in next.
Paul L

Postby Joris » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:19 am

espressomattic wrote:Ok Joris...you got what I was hoping for...the questions is...did you actually like it??? :S

Like it?? just had a ristretto... I LOVE IT :P It's even better than the espresso last night, more caramel this time and the fruit taste blended in in stead of sticking a bit out. Must make another ristretto in a moment and later a cappuccino as well, I bet the taste of this blend cuts through the milk taste with ease :)

It's funny that we have basically swapped beans by and large!!! :D

Looks like we have a simular taste in coffee :)

Is it the Indian Monsooned Robusta in there?

Not sure, I got these green beans from Rocco, the owner of Casa di Bella. He doesn't sell greens but when I asked if he could bring some from his next trip. He brough back India Robusta, didn't know anything else about it. As it's the only robusta I have in greens I can't compare it to other robustas. Did you ever try a SO Robusta shot by the way ? :shock:

Looking forward to the morning brew already :D :D :D

I'm sipping on it, sipping on it right now :)

@ Paul, if you like sweetness you should also try the Cuba Cafede Cuba Caracolillo and the El Salvador Finca La Fany Bourbon. The latter giving a real creamy texture as well imho.

Doserless Mazzer Major
Joris

Postby espressomattic » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:25 am

JUst had the morning batch...OK different tastes coming through today...the oils are really coming out of the bean and I have noticed the roast flavour developing, very nice. I can taste the robusta now as well, being a Robusta fan I find this quite pleasing :D The heavy tones are very much to the fore now and I am having to grind finer and finer as it ages....I am going to go off and try a ristereto now as I ahave only had doubles...maybe a latte later :) I think as you do, yours will make a great milk based drink...may even try it as a Frappe...ohhh I can just taste it now!!!! :D

I thkn you are right Joris we must have similar tastes here :) If you can, try the monsooned Robusta from Steve, it gives a very interesting edge to a brew, quite unlike anything I have tried before.
espressomattic

Postby Joris » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:08 pm

I think you'd like the 1th blend I posted in the "2 more tries" thread as well, I know I do :)

I'm all out of your blend Matt, darn it ! :(

Doserless Mazzer Major
Joris

Return to Beans, Blending and Cupping